Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i auto mount?

how do i auto mount?

alright here is my situation:

this is my thied week in learning linux. i just figured out how to mount my fat32 partition so that rh 7.3 could read as well as w2k, but i have no idea how to make it so that i dont have to mount it every time........

i know that i can have it auto mount but i have no idea how to accomplish that. i think that i have to add something to the fstab but i dunno how. can someone tell me how to do that ??

thank you

oops wrong forum.....
    i hit the wrong one. i meant to post this in the newbie question.......

Antionline Herpetologist
    Ok here's what you do:
    Open up the file "/etc/fstab" in your favourite text editor. What you'll see is a file with a format like this:
    device mount point filesystem options
    /dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 0 0
    At the last line of the file, type in the following
    /dev/hda4 /mnt/shared vfat defaults 0 0

This should work.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

what text editor should i use and what are the commands for that editor???
    i am new to the linux environment..........

Antionline Herpetologist
    Do you have X installed? If so just start up KDE and run any of the programs in the "Editors" sub-menu. I think the commands are self-explanatory for those.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)

open the file /etc/fstab using vi editor..for that at the prompt, as root, type
    vi /etc/fstab
    then in insert mode type in the line that is mentioned above in some of the replies

that is, towards the end of the fstab file add the following entry..(i assume your fat32 partition is /dev/hda1

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win1 defaults 0 0

for the above you have to create the directory win1 under /mnt, though you do have the option to mount it anywhere....you said you are a newbie..if you dont know to use vi then i think you should first get in touch with how to use vi or any editor in linux
    i hope this helps

i am sorry but i have a smalll correction to make

add the following line

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win1 vfat defaults 0 0

i missed " vfat " in the previous reply..
    once again sorry

Senior since the 3 dot era
    hmm easier solution for a newbie:
    you have X installed?
    make yourself root in a terminal window (command line) with
    su -
    then type
    linuxconf

it opens linuxconf:
    goto filesystems -> access local drives -> add mount

you can add / edit / delete mounts select add to add a new mount definition, you enter all the info in the required fields, the default is to mount at boot time, I think, if not change it in options by clicking on the mount definition you added.

Antionline Herpetologist
    VictorKaum,
    LinuxConf isn't installed by default under RedHat 7.x and above. RedHat is trying to phase out LinuxConf and you have to install it from Disc 2 to get it. AFAIK you don't even get LinuxConf with a full install.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

Senior since the 3 dot era
    hmm... I have it on all my redHat linuxboxes installed that confused me... thx cgkanchi

we are both right

linuxconf
    < RH 7.2

no linuxconf
    > RH 7.2

let's quote redhat: (http://www.redhat.com/advice/ask_pbrown2.html)

Q: Where is linuxconf? I notice this command is missing in Red Hat Linux 7.2.

The various functions of LinuxConf are being replaced by new configuration tools that are more tightly integrated into the rest of Red Hat Linux.