Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Server

Question Personal Server

hi, i would like to set up a pesonal server in my winXP, i would like to host a web site with php, asp, mysql. I would like to limit the bandwich and to limit download and upload, could anyone advise me one that you find secure?

I heard to that i can get a free redirect service like somename.someserver.com, and since i have a dynamic IP, i could automaticly update the information of the service to redirect it to the new IP, do you know if this is possible, if so where can i get this service?

Thanx

by the way sorry for my english, i'm a litle rusty
    -Mamma... Mamma... I want to let school !!! - kid
    -Why my dear? - Mom
    -Because i heard in television that some guy was killed because he knew to much!!!-Kid

You kinda gotta get a dedicated server/virtual server/colocated server/raq server. When you buy those, you can host websites, email, ftp, and many other things. They are a wee bit on the expensive side. Atleast for me

dyndns.org offers the redirection service that you are looking for w/ a dynamic IP. There are others, but I am partial to that one as they will do it free.
    As for the packages you need to install to run all the services you would like, I can't really help you. I've taken to using a *nix based system for all those services. I'm sure you should be able to locate something through google though.

Regards
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Nice site chefer! I like that site. Looks very neat.

hi

i believe mysql is not ported to windows, but let me verify that from their website... wow, i'm wrong. look at that...

http://www.mysql.org/downloads/os-win32.html
    http://www.mysql.org/downloads/os-nt.html

new things we learn every day.

well, you did say secure. and you meant for windows. my recommendation is to learn unix/linux, run apache (or tux, if that is also secure?), it will be able to do php and mysql, however, i believe getting asp to work in apache might be tricky (from experience, but then i could be just dumb).

as for dynamic dns, check out dyndns.org for one such place, or put in 'dynamic dns' in a search engine.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

Thumbs up cool

I had been considering doing the same thing for expirementation and really just to host my own site. I wonder though is DSL enough to withstand a fairly active site and a couple of people browsing the web?
    The more I deal with people, the more I LOVE my computer.

--------------------------
    I wonder though is DSL enough to withstand a fairly active site and a couple of people browsing the web?

--------------------------

dsl can handle your needs as long as your not TOO active, then they'll upgrade your service and charge you more. couple of hundred hits a day no prob. hoever some providers don't allow the use of port 80, and some routers tie it up as a configuration port so your better check to see is that port is available from a remote point.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Red Hat7.1

I forgot to mention, i've Red Hat 7.1 running in the same machine, but i don't know much about it, and i've to know how to connect using a RCA modem by usb.

(i tried once to connect to internet with a diamond modem it was connecting but when i tried to browse sites with Konqueror i get a dns error, altougth i could use command line with ip.)

i wil try to get some tutorials but i've so much to learn so little time

Thanx
    -Mamma... Mamma... I want to let school !!! - kid
    -Why my dear? - Mom
    -Because i heard in television that some guy was killed because he knew to much!!!-Kid

Okay lets say that either my router requires the use of port80 or my ISP thinks they will be smart and not let me use port 80. Can apache be setup to run off a differant port? I realize that 80 is standard, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it can easily be changed to like 81 in the event of port conflicts.
    The more I deal with people, the more I LOVE my computer.

I'm running a small web site off of a dsl connection, and from what I hear from my visitors is that it's no slower or faster than any other site (I thought it would be slower since I only had dsl). Anyway, just don't be downloading a lot of stuff, or be online too often, because then it will be slower. But you should at least have a deticated server, even if its a $700 one from the store -- just so the server is not the same one you use for internet browsing.

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption