reformattng XP{ harddrive
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reformattng XP{ harddrive

reformattng XP{ harddrive

is there any difference in reformatting a hard drive on 98 and XP? does anyone know a good tutorial for reformatting a hard drive on XP?

The Iceman Cometh
    How are you reformatting it? Are you using FDISK, the formatting engine built into Windows XP setup or another, third-party program?

AJ

TechieChick
    XP is a bootable cd, just set your bios to boot to the cd, drop it in the drive and follow the onscreen directions.

reformatting xp harddrive

well now heres the problem, Im not sure i have the xp cd, it just came pre installed on my comp =/

XP is running an NTFS file system, whereas Win98 runs on FAT or FAT32.
    NTFS can read FAT/FAt32 files,but it doesn't work the other way around last time I checked, so you might want to keep that in mind.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I have an upgrade cd for windows xp...formatting is a cinch, if yours lets you do the same thing, just begin the xp installation process....there should come a point when it shows all the existing partitions their sizes...etc. You can reformat, partition etc. from the screen.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

here is a botch..

some manufacturers preinstall XP-home using FAT32 (or is that crap32), and their Image disks will only reimage the hdd as FAT32.. ouch.. I am not aware of a work around as yet, others may be aware of a way..

but that isn't helping the problem here..

Sry

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thumbs up

My first question is, why do you think you need to
    reformat your hard drive?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

If you are preinstalled with FAT32 or want to change to NTFS you can convert the filesystem to NTFS with the command convert {drive letter:} /FS:NTFS Its a one way change though and not wildly helpful for anyone with a multiboot system. www.sysinternals.com have NTFS drivers for most M$ os's that dont natively support it if you want to use them but obviously not for the boot partition unless you were planning to use it as a doorstop.

There are benefits in terms of fault tolerance, security {potentially anyway} and speed when using NTFS on drives over 1Gb i could waffle on for hours about the why's and wherefore's but im sure someone here will have already done it at length far more eloquently than i ever could

Paul

i formatted a hard drive that ran xp, but the way i ended up doing it was quite unconventional...

i booted up with a win 98 boot disk in, and that took me to a command prompt. then i just did format c: -s because the command.com on the boot disk still allowed format. there are a lot of other ways to do it (although xp makes it a lot harder to format then the old os's) but i was just playing around and foiund this way worked as well.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda