win2k recovery

Thread: win2k recovery

win2k recovery

is there anyway to recover the files lost (fileXXXX.chk) in the Found.000 folder?
    [shadow]Powertendstocorruptandabsolutepowercorruptsabsolutely. - Lord Acton[/shadow]

Antionline Herpetologist
    Yes.... if you're a data recovery expert and have a hell of a lot of time on your hands. Otherwise, all you can do is delete them. Some background though, the filexxx.chk files are created when your system is turned off/restarted without going through the shutdown procedure first. This can happen due to power failure, a system crash or somebody just turning the computer off. Each file contains data that was in the virtual memory at that time (correct me if I'm wrong here) like open files. So unless you had some really critical unsaved data when your system crashed, there's no point trying to recover it because it'd be one long week of studying file formats and using a disk editor. It'd probably just be easier to redo the work that you did. And another thing, SAVE YOUR DATA CONSTANTLY, ie at least once every five minutes or so, so that you never lose more than five minutes of work in case of a system crash.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

yea i gather, win2k crashed that time i was running some memory program. perhaps i set the priority of the program to realtime suffocating explorer. the problem is, the program was located on the desktop (or Documents and Settings/Administrator) and prolly messed up the folder as well. during disk check in dos the following power-on, it reported error and removed the whole folder, clearing all my settings, files on desktop and saved data. so, its really critical data that'll take another 50 days to restore... looks like i'd need to find a really good data recovery guy...
    [shadow]Powertendstocorruptandabsolutepowercorruptsabsolutely. - Lord Acton[/shadow]