Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which operating system?

Question which operating system?

I've been pretty bored with microsoft for awhile. And since I have to use MS operating systems at work all the time, it makes it even more boring. I've decided to learn something new. And from what I've read, I'd like to learn about linux. So... My question is, which flavor do any of you reccomend I start with. I'm trying out redhat right now. The only thing I've gotten stuck on so far was that I couldn't get rid of the boot loader(grub) that I installed. I figured it out, though. Anyway have a bunch of thick books for SuSe, Slackware, and RedHat 7.2 and I'd like to know the best place I could start. Also, which gui would any of you reccomend (kde, gnome, any others).

thanks in advance.

-blitzkrieg

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    /me crys that anotherone doesn't search the forums before starting a thread.

Redhat/Suse for newbies
    Debian for experiend
    Slack for expert..
    Others are a waste of time

GUI is bassed on personal preferance.

Nuff Said
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Mandrake 8.1 is decent. As for windows managers, start off with KDE, but download/install one called xfce. It's very lightweight and isn't bloated at all.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nĂ¡ engwar.

Umm... yeah.... I suggest you try either RedHat (7.2 or 7.3) or Mandrake (7.2 or 8.2).
    As for the GUI, I like KDE more than Gnome becuase it's easier to use.

To get rid of Grub, you must overwrite the MBR(Master Boot Record), cuz Grub is the program that loads the operating systems u have installed.
    But why do u want to take it off?
    CUz u could either install lilo, or another loader, but anyway u must overwrite the MBR.
    \"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm...

I'm in agreement with Souleman here. RH and SuSe for newbies and learning. For a gui, KDE is easy, xfce is clean as is enlightenment. I'm more a fan of enlightenment myself. You want to check out what some of the desktops can look like, check out themes.org

Regards
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    /me does the openBSD dance around the forum...

i would suggest u red hat especially with those fat books ( unleashed or bible) ,these will help easy switchover to linux

/me does the openBSD dance around the forum...
    ROFLMAO
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Mandrake is definitely good for starters. Lots of GUIs to help transistion from M$.

As for window managers, I go barebones -- blackbox. No sense wasting RAM on flashy menus.

When you get comfortable...abandon the 'drake and go slack.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */