Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which operating system?

Mandrake has done well at making theirs the Windblows of the Linux community. Don't get me wrong, it's great for someone that does not want to know anything about their system. However, It would seem to me that we are interested in knowing something about the OS that is in use, otherwise there would be no need to purchase those heafty books that aim to teach.

For those with no inclination to know what is really going on : Mandrake
    For those that are up to a challenge and would really like to lear : RH or SuSE
    For those that think you know, Slackware or even one of the BSD's at this point might be well advised.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Mandrake is definitely the easiest to use. Then Redhat. Then Debian, then Slack. That should be a light summary.

If anyone reading this is wonder how to get rid a the boot loader all you do is type fdisk /mbr in dos.

Go with mandrake its a great newbie distro.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by chefer
    Mandrake has done well at making theirs the Windblows of the Linux community. Don't get me wrong, it's great for someone that does not want to know anything about their system. However, It would seem to me that we are interested in knowing something about the OS that is in use, otherwise there would be no need to purchase those heafty books that aim to teach.

For those with no inclination to know what is really going on : Mandrake
    For those that are up to a challenge and would really like to lear : RH or SuSE
    For those that think you know, Slackware or even one of the BSD's at this point might be well advised.
    I'm not sure I understand. What exactly is it about Mandrake that renders one so incapable of understanding the inner workings of the *nix system? I assume you have used Mandrake?

-DÆmon~X
    \"Software is like sex- it\'s better when it\'s free.\"
    -Linus Torvalds

Just because it's retard-mode by default, doesn't mean you can't change it. That's the beauty of linux. I've already removed the GUI on bootup cause it just didn't feel right.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

redhat for a new user is super friendly instalation wise and interface wise with the gnome environment, but still a struggle for a newbie coming off windows somewhat, good thing is there is so much info out there you should have plenty of resources to answer almost any question or hurdle you come across.
    know how to sell your wares. intrinsic quality isnt enough. not everyone bites at substance or looks for inner value. people like to follow the crowd;they go someplace because they see other people do so. uniqueness appeals both to the taste and to the intellect.