Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux sound not working

Unhappy Linux sound not working

Hi.
    I'm having some trouble with my soundcard.
    I have Linux Redhat 7.2 installed.
    Everything is working o.k, except for the sound.
    I already mounted the module and all of that, but nothing seems to work.
    I got CMI 8338 sound card(chip), integrated on the motherboard.
    The module i inserted was cmpci.o which matchs the driver of my sound card.
    Maybe i did something wrong, I'm kind of newbie in Linux, but I've done everything (I think)a friend of mine told me to, and he is a Linux admin.
    If anyone can help me, I'd apprecciate it.
    10x.
    \"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm...

str34m3r
    The program you want is 'sndconfig'. It will run a program similar to kudzu and try to configure your sound card for you. It will then play a clip of Linus telling you how he pronounces linux to test it. Then you should be good to go.

I already tried sndconfig, and when i hit the test button it doesn'play anything.
    I dont know what else to try.

Computer Forensics
    what error messages are you getting ?
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Error messages? No, I'm not getting any kind of error messages, just the sound isn't working.
    When KDE is starting it plays a sound but all I hardly can hear it.
    And when I try to play an mp3 I can't hear anything.
    An audio Cd, I hear it play, but very very low volume.
    So, What can I do?

Computer Forensics
    turn up the volume on your speakers, or check your sound controls on the system.......
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

str34m3r
    You might want to try running the aumix program. It's a simple little text based audio mixer that lets you control volume and such. See if that helps any.

Yeah, mixer and volume and stuff:
    But, Why when KDE is starting, it plays a sound and I only hear a sound with so much "distorsion" (sorry for my English).
    It's gotta be a problem with the soundcard or the driver, cuz a friend of mine installed the same distro and sound is working perfectly fine.
    What can I do?

Computer Forensics
    are the speakers plugged into the right port of the soundcard ? double check it
    Antionline in a nutshell

Trust your Technolust

str34m3r
    Get a new soundcard?

I don't mean to sound flippant, but that might be your best bet. Sound cards are pretty cheap nowadays. Onboard sound cards are also notorious for being cheaply made. There's very little you can do to fix the problem short of replacing them. It could be any number of things: perhaps the sound card itself is cheap, perhaps the video card is putting out a lot of electrical interference, or perhaps the CPU fan is causing interference. Your best bet is a cheap low end sound blaster card.