Linux distros
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux distros

Banned

Unhappy Linux distros

Hey, I was wondering if anybody knew a good but small linux distro. Preferrably newbie helpful. I know some linux, but I am still fairly new to it. I need a small linux distro, also helpful if x-windows comes with it. My comp has a small h/d so I can't get any of the good distros yet, I am getting a new comp in the summer, until then my current comp is a P133mhz with 32megs of ram and only 1.2gigs in total. I can prolly free up anywhere from 500-600 megs, know any good linux distros for me?
    P.S. I know linux will work ok on a 66mhz with crappy ram and all that, I was just telling you about my system, so don't repond saying Linux works fine on a crappy system, I've heard all that.I figured some linux "genius" would try and prove he knew something to others in ao by telling me that much.

This question has been answered many, many times and you can do a forum search for it at the top right hand corner of the home page. Hope this helps

Banned
    Helps somewhat, thanx. But this is a big place, and I was wondering if anybody could actually give me the name of a good distro. Also, if possible, though I understand it may not be possible, I would like something, that works ok with windows, no hogging or anything. I already know about phatlinux and winlinux but they keep giving me error messages and phat linux is just a bit too big for my comp.

PicoBSD should offer most of what you need. It's small, though it's not exactly linux. It's an off shoot of the FreeBSD project.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Banned
    you want small and runs on a crap puter? get minix...... you poor bastard then again this WAS the OS that drove linus torvalds to creating linux so sudge for yourself......

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    With that system, you are not going to want to run X. You probably could, but I wouldn't recommend it. You could actually install RH7.x and just limit the packages you install. I doubt you are going to be doing graphics on that machine, so don't load the packages...etc etc.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Linux doesn't run good on crappy machines, don't believe everything they say. A minimalist distro might run good in console mode, goto www.linux.org and search for a minimalist distro.

Slackware is probably quite good for systems with limited disc space and memory. You can run just about any console app with 32Meg, but only a limited amount of X.

Slackware isn't for newbies though, the installer barely changed since I started using it in 1994 on my 386

You can get Greycat Linux, it is a minimalist distro based on Slackware.
    I don't recall where the url to the Greycat homepage is but you should be able to find it on www.linux.org

I'd go with what Souleman said, then you can still stay in the mainstream of linux use, and get used to a system that is used widely, as well.

I know there's at least two other threads on this topic also.