Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAM editting

Banned
    sumdumguy, I thought about that before posting. I thought that maybe the Windows OS designates RAM differently than other OSs, also, I don't think that's there's a Mac or Linux version of UT. I may be wrong. Also, the program I was using was created for Windows, so... I posted in this forum to find out how, technologically, RAM works. I'm sure I could have done a Google search for Unreal Tournament trainers, or just typed in the infinite ammo code, but that's not what I'm going for. I'm trying to learn how it works. Just because I'm using a game in this case doesn't mean that the answers I was looking for would too far differently than any other computer application that uses RAM.

Terr, heh, I know. Having local access to any program makes hacking it so easy. I've hex editted a few programs before so I wouldn't have to pay for them (shh, don't tell anyone) but I haven't coded any cracks because I don't know how to program that well. Also, I noticed that yesterday. The offsets I found for ammo, although different, were not too far apart. Thanks for explaining how a program may use different chunks of memory for different circumstances. Really, that was the explanation I was looking for.

jackthekiller, thanks for the attempt. I weild a hex editor like a sharpened blade, but it's use isn't what I needed here. So you know, so it'll make your life easier if you ever need to hack something or cheat in a game, a hex editor allows you to change permanent files saved on your harddrive, whereas a RAM state editor allows you to alter temporarily saved values that are in your RAM, and not in a saved file on your harddrive that you can view. A lot of the time, games' save files do not save every value, but only some. (Like, in Super Mario Bros. 3 in Mario All-Stars, it'll save what world and level you got to, but it won't save how many coins you had and whether you were big Mario or not.) So you can only do so much with a hex editor, to get the most desired results, you need to hack the game while running with a RAM editor.

BlazeTech, thanks for the suggestions. I can't download it now, but I will later.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Ramzi

Banned
    Try the RAM editor at www.winhex.com. A nice piece of software.

er0k
    jackthekiller: ramzi uses hex editors. But i dont think they would be as effective in this situation.