Thread: Linux Sniffer

Linux Sniffer

Hi all,

Anyone have a sniffer they can recommend for Linux? Redhat preferably. Appreciate the feedback.

Luck
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

And you want a sniffer for what legitimate reason?

I'd offer my dog, but she runs on Windows-K9... sorry.

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

str34m3r
    tcpdump - should be on your redhat CD's (I believe it's on CD 1).

Sniffer - the dog?

Yeah, this is for real business work. My company is trying to get to the bottom of a slow location. I think it's abuse by one of the workers. ( In Brazil )

We're looking into big brother as well.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

tcpdump & Ethereal will help you out.

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

I'd go for Ethereal it's excellent, you can find the packets you're really interested in, and it disassembles them for you, separating the headers at various protocol levels, which makes it much faster to work out what's going wrong (Assuming that's what you want it for)

Sniffers

Thanks for the information. I was looking into etherpeek from wildpackets. I don't know how much it costs though.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

ethereal would be my best recomendation

Re: Sniffers

Originally posted here by lucktsm
    Thanks for the information. I was looking into etherpeek from wildpackets. I don't know how much it costs though.
    Ethereal (& tcpdump) are free.
    get Ethereal from here

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

You can use snort in sniffer mode and pipe it through TCPview for detailed traffic logs on any port. This has worked well for monitoring an IRC server.