Thread: Gmc

Gmc

When I log on as root, the system pops an error saying that the process 'gmc' has crashed due to a segmentation fault. What is 'gmc' and can someone explain in detail what segmentation fault is?

When I log on as another user it doesn't pop out. In both instances I startx.

I'm running RH Linux 6.1 with GNOME.

Thanks!

sincerely,
    cow.

PS All I know about segmentation faults are if I'm untidy with my pointers that will happen and buffer overflows are then possible...
    sincerely,
    cow.

gmc is the console mouse service.
    It allows you to use a mouse in the text-based linux console, and to copy/paste between different sessions, etc.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Thanks!

sincerely,
    cow.
    sincerely,
    cow.

segmentation fault n.

[Unix] 1. [techspeak] An error in which a running program attempts to access memory not allocated to it and core dumps with a segmentation violation error. This is often caused by improper usage of pointers in the source code, dereferencing a null pointer, or (in C) inadvertently using a non-pointer variable as a pointer. The classic example is:

Code:
       int i;
       scanf ("%d", i);  /* should have used &i */

2. To lose a train of thought or a line of reasoning. Also uttered as an exclamation at the point of befuddlement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */