Thread: Discovering Linux

Discovering Linux

I have a box running linux distro 7.0. And a whole lot of friends running windows. I have been teaching them the operating system, and have a telnet server running on it. (i know, its not secure but eh, its to teach with and is no big deal to reformat)I give them accounts with near super user ability. As a precation to me, i was wondering if there was any software to moniter what they were doing localy, and if not how to create a log file for individual users that are using it. i dont mind them using it, but if funny crap starts happening. i want to know what user did what. i am a linux newbie, but i still want to help others learn it to. And by offering them a free shell acount with near no restrictions i feel i am bettering their knowledge of operating systems.

Another question i had was, I cannot get my laptop to connect to the internet (it is the one running linux) with its modem, and i had to use my lan to connect it via Winproxy (I have like no money and it is running out of its 30 days i am willing to pay for software but am looking to see if there is anything out there that would work better) to my desktop which is connected to the net with a 56k. Is there any other software that you can recomend that has the functionality of a gateway that works if windows connects to the net and sends all trafic to the linux box, i have tried and i cannot find a "linmodem" driver that supports my laptops modem.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer
    -Blaze tech

use Tripwire to monitor important files & logs
    Don't give them near super user ability, give them normal shells, if they want / need root make them justify it.

As for your laptop & windows, you should check if the modem is a winmodem, if not you should be able to make it work, if not you should set up internet connection sharing under window$ and setup the laptop to use the PC as it's gateway (you may get it to work by setting up the laptop to use DHCP) but I always prefer to do it manually.

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

hehe, can I have a shell account? pretty please with a cherry on top?

Sure, i dont care, but i am signed on dynamically and by a 56k so you can only connect when im online

Banned
    yeah, if you got a laptop then you probly got a winmodem. there a pain in the ass. check out www.linmodems.org from there just got your drivers for the chipset that yours uses (the better part of the l/ts ive used have had lucient chips so thats a good place to start if your not 100% sure) also check out the linmodem-howto, thats an invaluable reference. if you can get a RPM of your driver you outta be able to get it running in no time. just dont get your hopes up cause all the docs and mauals basicly say that your screwed unless you got a vendor driver or a really common chipset, so........ good luck

Uh, blazetech, how about some coaxial cable for your comp?? And if anybody knows a good/free shell account, I would be grateful. I'd give ya access to my psybnc an' stuff.

What you can do (easy solution) is to start a shell and then log into that box and then enter the command w, you'll then see who's on, or type top, top will then show you all logged in users, what processes are running and what everyone is doing, eg. bash/lynx etc