Thread: Hacker Diaries

Thumbs down Hacker Diaries

After finishing The Hacker Diaries : Confessions of Teenage Hackers I found my time better spent playing a marathon Bingo tournament at an elderly person's home, or doing something worthwhile. This book sucks.

Some may ask "Why the anger?" For a $25 book that glorifies script kiddies, you'd be angry too. We start the book with:

To many who knew him, there was nothing odd about him. He was a normal kid.

Oh, creepy. As the 1st chapter progresses, we learn about this "hackers" journey into the underworld (yes, the Underworld. So I guess I'm posting in Hell ). Every chapter is the typical "I found inspiration when I turned on the computer. I read a lot. I downloaded lots of programs. I ran the programs, and ran to Jail." While its slightly entertaining to read about the "super hackers" among us, its downright depressing to make a book about it.

Almost every teenager in Hacker Diaries does not make his own programs. The book doesn't even prove that they knew anything about computers. The book does prove that anyone can be a script kiddie, and that anyone can download programs. Whoop-dee-doo, how about that! And when the kids get busted, they are all like "Oh gosh, did I do that? Gee I'm sorry." Great way to end a story.

Mind you, there are still a few redeeming characters in the book. 3, to be exact (a White Hat, and two people who have gone over to the Feds). At least it looked like those guys knew what they were doing.

So while you're at the bookstore, just hop around the book and read the chapters you like. Your time and money is better spent elsewhere.
    -Lone1337

Stretch your MIND

what a great book, you read man! i have'nt that, but anyway will go look for it.

i just downloaded the hacker crackdown by Bruce Sterling (kazaa) and am on pg150's something and must say so far its a good read, ill stear clear of hacker diary thanks.
    know how to sell your wares. intrinsic quality isnt enough. not everyone bites at substance or looks for inner value. people like to follow the crowd;they go someplace because they see other people do so. uniqueness appeals both to the taste and to the intellect.

I hear "Hacker Chanllenges" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...324654-0626338) is a good read... Anyone read it? I'm thinking of buying it...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

I may read 'Hackers Challenge" I read a few of those books, to see if I needed to learn anymore techniques anyone could be using to break into a network or a system, to keep me safe.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Hacker Challenges is pretty cheap now too, I believe you can get it used for 8.99. Any of the Diary sorts of books about hackers leave much to be desired. Although, the book about the MoD is pretty good.

Hackers Challenge is a good book....Hack Attacks Revealed and Hacking Exposed are pretty good also (to prevent flames: only if you will use the knowledge for good purposes..)

I saw the cover picture of the book on Amazon.com, the first word that came into my head: sterotype. The people that bought it off that site say it's "great" and "really informative."

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Why are people talking about Hackers Challange? It was good, but...Start a new thread in product/book review... It isn't that hard to do....

I started a thead on this book a while back. Right when I started the book. I thought it was funny cause it labeled JP as "thought to be one of the best hackers in the world." Since it does glorify script kiddies, it was even more funny. I intended to go back and write a review about it when I finished, but it just wasn't worth writing. The book was ok if you want to get inside the head of a couple of script kiddies, or if you are interested in names, but overall it was pretty bad....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman