Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My retarded sister

My retarded sister

My sister likes to dl nsync stuff off the internet. So far she has gotten 4 trojans plus the KlezH virus. How do i stop her from getting a more damaging virus. We have norton anti-virus.

just get a anti-virus and trojan software that runs in the background and moniters everything so if she d/l something it should catch it
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

is she getting the stuff off kazaa, if she is then click tools, options then filter tab then type in stuff like n sync into the blocklist box at the bottom, this should work, assuming she doesn't know how to use comuters very well. I'm sure someone else will come up with a better solution - but there ya' go. =)

P
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

Training...

Show your sister what not to download, what is possibly dangerous etc....

When my mother first got her laptop, she downloaded anything, opened everything, was a general pain in the ass... I checked out her laptop one day... it had like 15 viruses and about 4 different trojans on it...

I showed her stuff like that you shouldn't open an email attachment, unless your expecting it.... Not if you trust the person, because with the amount of virus's which can propagate via email, its not safe to open stuff from people you trust anymore.....

All I can say, is that I don't run any AV software on my mother's laptop now, and its still clean.....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Matty: That's really good of you to do that for her. Hopefully she'll keep herself clean now. But I'm just wondering why you don't have any AV software on it? I think you should still have it on there just to be safe, because there are still some cases where she could get one and not know it, even if she does everything like you tell her she should. Just what I think; trying to stop the flow of viruses in the world, hehe.

I would be concerned about the lack of AV software for the reason that DL sites can be hacked, as is illustrated in this article: http://online.securityfocus.com/news/462

It seems that w/o AV software, you would be hard pressed to know that there was something going on. Now in this case it was a trojan that was placed, but that isn't to say that there aren't other malicious bugs that can be perpetuated in this fashion.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Well, since you're running Norton AV, and are still getting viruses. Make sure that it is enabled on startup. Then, make sure you run the LiveUpdate! feature. Get all of your virus definitions up to date. Then, run The Cleaner, whcih is a trojan scanner/removal tool. And after all that is done, tell your sister to stay off the computer! :-P Nah, Like Matty said, Tell her what to look for, and what not to get. Train her...she is after all your little sister right?

Or, did Matty say Drink beer? I forget...

Alright, Im going to throw my two cents in here for what its worth.

1. Update the nortons AV. I personally do this about 2 a week, if I need it or not.

2. Teach your sister how to right click and scan whatever she downloads and scan it with nortons. I d0 this religiously!!.
    Your sister should not be restricted by what she can or can not download. Rather, education is the best tool of prevention.
    Once she knows how to dowload a file to the desktop, then scan it with nortons, she can catch the virus first hand. Personally,
    I download all sorts of stuff off the net, then I can it with NAV and ad-aware (just downloaded pestpatrol and interested to see
    what it will do).

So....thats my two cents for what its worth.
    See dick... see dick hack yahoo...see dick go to jail... dont be a dick.

She gets these through ezines. It has a File Protection system, but it's only updated once a week.

ok. now that you've gotten all the "educated" responses from all the technically advanced people on this site, I'm gonna suggest the simple approach. mind you this is all in good jest. but whenever my sister does something like this, i just give her a good smack on the back of the head and say, "why are you downloading crap like this?!?!?"

it might sound simple, but it works. she has absolutely NO inclination to learn about various issues/concerns/problems with what she does online. no matter how many times i try to explain it to her, she just doesn't care, doesn't want to learn, and doesn't listen. SO, i go for the smack on the back of her head whenever i catch her doing stuff like that. surprisingly, this works for her
    -Hadoob024-