Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win Xp firewall question

go to this site n d/l

www.zonealarm.com

u will get personal firewall
    ok
    My kei-goh is Silver Wolf!

as illv said, dont use it at all, period
    someone i know (using dial up here in oz) was using it and wondering why he was being disconnected from the net all the time, it was the firewall causing the prob in XP pro

he just uses one of the free firewalls you can get on the net (not sure what one though, zonealarm and tiny personla are 2 of the most mentioned here at AO if that helps

Old Fart

Thumbs down XP Firewall is a joke

One of out AO colleagues commented on the XP firewall not tracking info LEAVING your computer, in reference to spyware, adware, etc.. The big problem I had with it initially was that if I was using Messenger (built into XP) I could not send files while I had it on. This, of course, is typical of the astounding genius that goes into M$ development. I could use any P2P that I wanted to (P2P is the skull and crossbones of piracy in M$ eyes), but couldn't use M$ software to do what it was designed to do. XP's built in firewall is just plain old useless...turn that puppy off and kick it to the curb!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I have been told that the built in firewall is set to microshafts rules.And not to use it.But to each his own.I have used Nortons internet security F/W and when its set to high got warnings that my server was checking my ports with a keylogger !! But when set to default didnt get the keylogger warning.Most F/W are like a pmsing woman ,touchy as all heck when messed with!So best leave the devil sleeping.

Yes, do not use the microsoft xp firewall. I used it ONCE, and i will never again. Once i set it up nothing, and i mean nothing, worked. NO aim, irc, nothing...

Like someone said try using ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) it is a very nice program and very easy to setup.

Is a combination with alarmzone possible or will it cause some problems?
    Beware of weird people

do u think xp .dll

I tried ZA with the XP firewall and it worked fine, actually I think that ZA uses the Xp fw to block the inboud traffic, guess that's b/c of them developing the thing, never knew that before I read this thread though.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

In spite of what folks have said above, if you don't have another personal firewall installed, you should ABSOLUTELY activate the limited version provided with XP. While it does not protect outbound traffic, it will provide a fairly strong measure or protection from the outside world. This can be verified by running Steve Gibson's 'Shields Up' scans against your system. For the M$ phobic, msmsgs can and should be removed. Have no idea why folks are reporting problems using services through this FW as I can run AIM, ICQ, Telnet, FTP etc... without as much as a hiccup.

PvZ

If it where up to me with all of the issues with M$ products in the past I would want to run as skinny a system as possible and allow another device to handle the firewall. If you are going broadband then go out and get an inexpensive DSL/Cable router which will allow you more options for blocking your personal connection...

I don't trust M$ as far as these integration of services within the OS allowing one person/company to control it all makes me a little nerveous...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer