Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win Xp firewall question

Win Xp firewall question

Someone here had mentioned not too turn on the win xp firewall that it wasnt a firewall at all. Could someone explain why please? I take it, it has security flaws or something wrong with it? I dont use it as a primary firewall I just left it on for the hell of it actually but if it is a risk ill shut it off. Thanks for any help

The firewall feature on Win XP doesn't seem to be a fully fledged firewall. It offers basic coverage on some of your services. In fact, it was developed by Zone Labs, the beloved manufacturers of the Zone Alarm series. As it was developed with the spyware and additional services offered by XP in mind, it stands to reason that it will not offer full capabilities as it may interfere with the XP features (ie SpyWare). And if M$ is unable to keep tabs on their newest OS and it's users, then what good is the spyware feature?
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Hi,
    The WinXP firewall offers some protection against threats from outside your computer, but it doesn't block anything coming from inside your computer-- that is, spyware if you happened to have any installed. If you want to keep tabs on the connections made going out of your box WinXP won't do it.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

ummm u might just want to have 1 firewall on becouse when u have 2 i think it can couse conflicts and actulay make things mess up.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

I don't like the XP firewall...
    I was checking out my friends box to help him secure it, and the damn firewall kept saying different ports were open each time I scanned it....

Take a look at this.. http://www.hackemate.com.ar/advisori...XPfirewall.txt... that shows a few problems that someone has found with the XP firewall.....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

tip of advice, dont use Windows XP firewall. peroid.

illv //
    illv // seen the digital world from monochrome dial up to what it is today.

Oh i shut it off now but does it hurt to be on anyways? I hear from alot dont use it but wondering why

are you using broadband or dial-up?

illv //
    illv // seen the digital world from monochrome dial up to what it is today.

dial up for another week or so until they install the cable

y u shouldn't?

"The WinXP firewall offers some protection against threats from outside your computer, but it doesn't block anything coming from inside your computer-- that is, spyware if you happened to have any installed. If you want to keep tabs on the connections made going out of your box WinXP won't do it." preacherman481

thats a good answer
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,