Thread: Site Security

Question Site Security

I am apart of an online community and I was called upon to make a new process for clearing people from a Secuirty point of view. Currently we just do a whois check. Is there any free programs out there that will provide a physical location trace with a persons ip? Also, are there any other free programs that you might suggest in the clearance process?

Thanks for any advice you give.

Uh, wouldnt that be an invasion of the users privacy? Besides a traceroute can get at least to that users isp which will give away their location down to the city.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Traceroute should do the trick - 'tracert' on windows and 'traceroute' in *nix. If you just want physical locations, you wont really need anything else other than this and whois.

Neotrace will take a stab at the location. www.neotrace.com
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

try the ip locater in the toys and tools section of AO.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I want a physical location b/c we deal with LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS of hackers so in case the community gets penetrated then we need something to turn into the authorities.

Re: Site Security

Originally posted here by the_new_guy
    I am apart of an online community and I was called upon to make a new process for clearing people from a Secuirty point of view.
    'clearing people'...? You seem to be misjudging the intelligence of those who would wish to subvert your 'community'...they are much more stealthy than you assume

Currently we just do a whois check.
    With which program/operation?

Is there any free programs out there that will provide a physical location trace with a persons ip?
    If you're looking for a street address, you won't ever get it...

Also, are there any other free programs that you might suggest in the clearance process?
    No...and I can't think of any registered programs to solve your dilemma, either...
    Why do you need this information, exactly?....

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

the best thing if your in the US is to use visual trace route. That's the closest you can get (sometimes givese you satellite pic of their street/area).
    Other than that, Ouroboros is right, you'll never get the exact location.
    I want a physical location b/c we deal with LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS of hackers so in case the community gets penetrated then we need something to turn into the authorities.
    Now why would you be dealing with loads and loads of 'hackers'? (you should have used the term cracker if you are talking about..a bank or something.) What you got under the hood? hehehe
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

If whatever problem 'hackers' you are dealing with are really distructive enough to cause problems, as said, they are most likely crackers.

The most precise location I deem you can get is a satellite image, but this is expensive and I don't think you are dealing with some Kevin Pimpshiz-type hacker who's defacing their way into the FAA or something like that (if you are, leave it up to the FBI).
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

visualroute is good tool for tracing and locating IP address.

You can get additional information from http://www.visualroute.com
    If u can dream it, u can do it.