Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting it all together..What to do?

Putting it all together..What to do?

-New member - First Post
    Arite here's the deal:
    I'm only 14...However I've been into computers since I was 11. So for three years I've been reading all these tutorials..most outdated and what not. Now I've been reading a lot around AntiOnline. So I know all these little tricks like wow I know how to get an IP address and spot forged e-mail etc...but really I've got nothing...I see everyone ansering posts knowing everything, you all know you're stuff. I want to have that knowledge...Lol it sounds stupid but I want to get to the point where I can be like the guy in Enemy of the State.
    Thanks, -=Royal-T=-
    Wisdom begins in [flip]wonder[/flip]
    -= Royal-T =-

Did you want all computer knowledge in a reply post or something? Or what? I don't really think there was a question there buddy.

Sorry for not being specific there buddy,
    I just meant where do I start reading? Just give me a small outline of what to read. Point me in the right direction.
    -=Royal-T=-
    Wisdom begins in wonder.
    -= Royal-T =-

What you're really asking for is what comes with experience. What you have been doing the past few years, is what you should be doing. Over time, you will gain knowledge, and then you will be the one answering questions. But this isn't just for computers, it is the way life works.

You say you have been reading stuff around AO; but what? Stuff from the forums, of the Text files and playing around with the programs? If you haven't, I suggest you start there. You can find links to those sections, on the Site Menu.
    And of course, there is Google. But I presume you already know about that. heh.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Thanks, that's more like what I was looking for. Nice reality check
    thanks again
    -=Royal-T=-
    [gloworange]He who is intelligant, knows nothing.[/gloworange]
    -= Royal-T =-

Maybe it's time to start expanding your library with real big heavy UNIX books and manuals. I'd also recommend playing around with a programming language.

Since you're young, you should start planning ahead, setting goals for yourself.

e.g.
    finish a website, learn cgi, script, bench 400lbs. ya know.. small things.

and if you plan to pursue computer science... Math is very important.

Thanks...
    Lol and I like that bench 400 lbs. I thought that was funny, got a nice laugh.
    Quote: 14 year olds are amused by the slightest little things
    -=Royal-T=-
    -= Royal-T =-

TechieChick
    I'm just happy to see someone ask what they can do to get ahead vs. show me the quick and dirty way to do it.

I have to second what is already being said in this post, what you want will come with experience but only if you absorb the right things. Read, read and read some more. Try and hang out with the IT director at your school, also he/she should have some ideas for you on where to intern during the summer or after school. Yeah you'll be working for free but get in with the right person or shop and it could really jumpstart your knowledge since you'd be exposed to a variety of situations.

Good luck!

Welcome --

Ditto what TechieChick said - you're at the start of a fantastic voyage of discovery - and if you approach it with the right attitude (which you seem to have) AO is a great harbour on that journey.

May I also recomend www.tuxedo.org - This is the homepage of Eric S. Raymond (author of the sendmail binary, the "how to be a hacker" FAQ and keeper of the jargon file). If you're new to security and havn't been here yet it's a day (or two) well spent .

CU on AO.
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

I think most of what you want comes from experiences and phases you go through. Like when I got my domain name, I started going crazy learning html and java and css. That kind of thing gives you loads of experience. After a while, you'll find something online that interests you, maybe how to uncap a cable modem or something, you'll get into, learn everything about it, and move on to something else. And if you frequent antionline you'll find questions you may also be asking and learn things by checking out the replies.