Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: geeks vs. nerds

Like he said geeks are cool. I am a geek. I may not be very cool sometimes but thats ok with me. Nerds are the ones that are really smart but they have no social skills. They act like two year olds but have an IQ of geniuses.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

lol, I almost made 'ne0geek' my a0 screen name . I would choose the hardware side: geek again.

THE NE0GEEK LIVES ON!!! W000000000000000T!!

A geek is the common term for a computer enthusiast(aka hacker) that is more knowledgeable in network administration and the hardware side of computers. A nerd, as you might have asumed, is more skilled in the software side. Either way, they are from the same genre of people(computer enthusiasts), but they are both a sub-catagory.

Its all about hardware/software. pick your side.
    bah! thats aload of crap!!
    I know very little about the hardware side of things but i swould still describe myself as a geek rather than a nerd!!

geek

In computers and the Internet, a geek is a person who is inordinately dedicated to and involved with technology to the point of sometimes not appearing to be normal. Being a geek also implies a capability with the technology. Although historically, computer and Internet programming and hacking has been a male thing, there are now many "girl geeks." The term "hacker" generally connotes competence more strongly than "geek" does. The term "geek" emphasizes dedication and weirdness, although recent use of the term suggests greater social acceptance and tolerance for geeks. (Historically, a geek was a circus person whose role in the side-show was to bite off chicken's heads or perform other bizarre feats. Eric Raymond describes "computer geek" as "one who eats (computer) bugs for a living.")

The term seems to be used by many in the general populace for anyone who spends a lot of or too much time at a computer.
    source

v_Ln

I have the knowledge of a geek and the social prowess of a nerd. ALL HAIL ME! FOR I AM THE UBERNERD.

Oops, I mean the other way around. Social prowess of a geek and the knowledge of a nerd.

cyb3rn3tik, you are no ubergeek. And in any case, your ubergeekiness pales in comparison to my mighty ubernerdiness. Why, in an ubergeek/nerd match, I'd cream you!

When I step up to a computer and do something really constructive I often hear the term "ohCOOL" rather than the occasional yelling of the words geek or nerd.

You must live in heaven.

Trust in me and my beliefe that Nerds being smart with no social life and geeks less smart but more social are mere steriotypes of common misconceptions of many geeks and nerds. I happen to be a nerd, but I do have a social life. I'm proud to be a nerd, and like I said: Nerds = Software. Geeks = Hardware. it's the only valid reasoning. but what happened to the other words, like dweeb. that is a very uncommon word indeed. but what does dweeb mean? perhaps a dweeb is a lesser mix of both a nerd and a geek. the foggy point at which a geek becomes a nerd.
    Ubernerds have full domination over ubergeeks. let me explain my reasoning:
    As new computer inthusiasts and hacker-wannabes start to learn about computers they are merely lame. they will eventually become adept in the software side of things and become somewhat of a nerd. but when you delv into the world of hardware AND software, you step foot into another world. but once you master both sides, you can truthfuly say you are a ubernerd. uberkeeks start from the hardware side, and trust me, hardware is a lot easier to learn about than software. software is more complex and very broad. thus the geek has more to learn, and the nerd is smarter. ubernerds overpower ubergeeks. and dweebs are just lame.

I don't know about you guys, but I think "geek" is a hateful term. Like valhallen quoted, "Geeks" were originally circus side show acts that would bite the heads off of chickens and other crazy crap. "Nerds", on the other hand, are technology enthusiasts that know computers and the like like the backs of their hands. Just my two cents.
    *Gets off of soap box*

If I had a nickel everytime somebody said \"WHAZZUUPPPPP!!!!!\", i\'d buy out the commercial company and bury it in a huge pile of smoldering ashes.