Linux Boot Disk...

Thread: Linux Boot Disk...

Linux Boot Disk...

ok i'm currently downloading linux(redhat 7.3) and i'm on file 1 (hurray, lol) when i get all three .iso files like what do i do to put them on CD s are there any special steps/risks i haev to look at..or complete..
    thanx for your help
    -bobby

The Iceman Cometh
    Not really. Simply open up your CD-writing program and chose to burn an image. Then, select the first ISO file, insert the first blank CD and let it do it's thing. If you don't have any programs besides your CD burning program that can read ISO files, you may simply be able to just double click on the ISO file and it will open your CD writing program and start the burning process for you.

Can your computer boot off of a CD? If not, you're going to have to make the boot floppies. It's not a difficult process, but it's time consuming. It's ideal if you can just boot straight off of the first CD. It makes things simpler.

AJ

thanx a lot.. how could i tell if it boots of a CD.. i have never had to boot it off a floppy or CD

The Iceman Cometh
    Do you know how to access your computer's BIOS? (generally, you hit 'Esc', 'F1', 'F2' or 'Del' during the start up process. Within your BIOS, you can set your "Boot Options" (may be named slightly different, depending on your motherboard and BIOS). Here, you can select the order of what boots. Set your CD-ROM drive to boot first, and hard disk second. Then, exit, saving changes, and insert the first CD. The installation program should start up. If you are unsure how to follow these instructions, the manual for your motherboard should detail exactly how to boot from other media besides your primary hard drive.

AJ

PS: Do you already have a partition set aside which you will use for Linux? I'm fairly certain that you cannot install both Linux and Windows to the same drive, though I may be wrong on that. Either way, I recommend reading through the Installation Guide, and Getting Started (at least those two), which can be found at the following link: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Good luck! It should be a great learning experience for you.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    If you have a recent computer there's no problem.

In order to boot from CD, your computer has to support the El Torito cd indexing, so your BIOS and CD-Rom have to support El Torito, normaly they do. To make those disks just follow the advice from adven
    After that start with the boot disk and follow the instructions...