Securing win2k

Thread: Securing win2k

Securing win2k

Im goin to reinstall win2k has anyone got any tips on how to secure it and make it safe and do you know what firewall and antivirus are best to use. thanx trials
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

Instead of installing everything and then locking down what you don't need, instead only install what you do need. If you're not going to run a web server, don't install IIS in the first place rather than installing and then trying to secure it. If a service isn't running or even installed, no-one can exploit it.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Lightbulb

Hey,

Another cool trick is to open the MMC and change the name of the administrator account,
    It works great and is really simple.

-=Legacy Boy=-
    What do you mean that they got more then 2400 kb out of a phone line!
    Thats impossible

I have just taken a security class for win 2000 and the best thing to do is install linux....but if you must have windows and i did I installed it with just the bare bones and updated it.And do all that stuff that peeps before me said.Run a firewall turm of file and print sharing, run adudits on failed logons, and keep all software updated.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

make sure you also install the most recent service packs (auto update) and visit www.ntfaq.com on a weekly basis to stay up to date with the latest NT security/performance problems

Thanx for your help ppl. i agree linux is more secure i duel boot with mandrake but still need windows for college and no one else in my family can use it that well.
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

Folllowing the adage of turning off what you don't need, I thought this site was pretty informative:

http://www.blkviper.com/WIN2K/win2kservice411.htm

Gives a complete list of Win2K services, what they are, if they can be disabled, and if so, what effect disabling the service will have...hard to crack a service that ain't runnin...

And as always with Micro$oft, patch, reboot, patch, reboot, patch, reboot, ... ad nauseum
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    There is a guide to securing Windows 2000 on the NSA website.

www.NSA.gov.

This guide is implemented throughout all government & government contractors networks.

Cool

You can use the MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer) to make sure you have all the latest security fix on you win2k box. It will also help you on little stuff you can set manualy.

Also, I've been using the Xteq Systems X-Setup (http://www.xteq.com ). It is a GUI apps that helps you go through all kind of manual settings to secure your win2k box - a very good tool that I suggest to anyone !

By the way, changing the administrator account to something is a standard thing to do. After you renamed it, create a new dummy account with no-access with the name "Administrator". So, it will just make any hackers go crazy and/or waste THEIR time for a change !

And always remember that you'll never gonna be able to secure everything on Windows OS. Like someone said in the past: In windows, it's not a bug, it's a feature !