simple Unix/linux commands

Thread: simple Unix/linux commands

Banned

Talking simple Unix/linux commands

Hi all,
    Firstly, you can get more Basic help on these threads
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=136968 by UberCoder
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=222447 by cyclops07

Most Dos commands have UNIX AND linux equivalents. Listed below are some of the main commands you will need to know to use a shell account.
    Here we go.
    HELP = HELP
    COPY = CP
    MOVE = MV
    DIR = RM
    CD = CD
    Also to see who else is on the system you can type WHO. To get information about a specific user on the system type FINGER <username>. Using those basic UNIX commands you can learn all you need to know about the system you are using.
    It’s me
    Bellon “HUMAN KNOWLEGDE BELONGS TO THE WORLD”

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    And why did you post this if others already have done tutorials?

By the way, HELP does not work in many Unixes. It's better for people to learn how to read Manual pages (man command) than be lazy.

In addition, the .plan file is rarely used this days thus making finger almost useless other than for a lame attack.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    HELP = HELP
    COPY = CP
    MOVE = MV
    DIR = RM
    CD = CD
    Not to be criticle or anything, but not a single one of these commands work... Linux/unix is case sensitive. You can NOT use caps with any of those commands. It should be:
    help
    cp
    mv
    rm
    cd
    Also, along with MsMittens question, why did you post this in Newbie Questions? I am still looking for the question.

In addition, the .plan file is rarely used this days thus making finger almost useless other than for a lame attack.
    I like my .plan and .sig files Just because I have the finger port turned off, and I am the only user of the machine.... I finger myself all the time, especially when I feel like I don't have any friends. Be honest, you know you do too
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

dir = rm?!? dir displays a directory listing in DOS, whereas rm removes files under Linux. How can you say that these two commands are the same? The correct way to emulate dir on DOS is ls (or ls -l). Souleman is correct in that Linux commands are case-sensitive also.

I too am looking for the question. This shouldn't be posted in here and since it's such a copied and incorrect post it shouldn't be in the tutorials forum either.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

dir = rm?!? dir displays a directory listing in DOS, whereas rm removes files under Linux. How can you say that these two commands are the same? The correct way to emulate dir on DOS is ls (or ls -l).
    Ahhhhh, I can't belive both MsMittens and I missed that. At least I missed it. Maybe she just refused to comment on it....

erase = rm
    format = rm -rf
    dir /w= ls
    dir /p = ls -l

bleah, I now feel slightly more redeemed....

/me goes and pouts in the corner
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    -- souleman

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

No it was way too early in the morning for me. =) I had the gym and a rebuild of my present box on the mind.

I will ask Bello what he is doing here? Trying to see how many posts you can do in 60 min and how many people you can annoy? What's yer purpose, dude?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Trying to see how many posts you can do in 60 min
    I think my record is something like 20..... but if he really wants a challange he should try beaing my record on IRC
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    -- souleman

Don't be so tough, he's trying...

(Hey Bello, Human Knowledge belongs to Humans the world can't think )

---Aku. Soku. Zan.

Tut tut, souleman and MsMittens both missing out that obvious mistake!

Most Linux distros come with aliases to the DOS commands, so dir would perform the same action on Linux as in DOS. You can create your own aliases quite easily: alias dir 'ls -l' or something along those lines usually does the trick. Drop it in your .login file (or the equivalent for your shell) to alias them each time you login, or get your system admin to create some scripts in a directory that's in your path that perform the same features.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I wish my sys admin would creates some aliases and scripts for me....

****, where did my sysadmin go?????
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    -- souleman