Thread: Linux - Some questions

Linux - Some questions

Ok guys I have linux installed with windows but i am having a few problems.

- My screen reolution wont go above 800*600
    - I have no internet access and I am sure that when i installed it it detected my ethernet card
    - When a friend installed it he had office and that on it (not microsoft office but the linux one) and its not one mine
    - How do I get rid of linux if i wanted to that is?
    - I have only KDE and a few others to select from (Not gnome, blackbox etc) is this due to it being run with windows?

Thanx hope ye can help

For the NIC card you'll probly have to go look for some linux drivers for it off the net.

I don't really understand your office question, you can get star office to do your office things, (at least thats what I think your asking,) you should be able to find it,

As for the screen resolution might want to try looking for drivers its been a while since I played with Linux.

now to remove Linux I have used partition magic 6 , 7 is out but I have not tried it yet. works like a charm

Sorry I could not be more help,
    -=Legacy Boy=-

-= You mean there is stuff better then DOS? =-

It may be your screen can't handle the resolutions, or you may need to run xf86config to set up the refresh rates and all the monitor related stuff. Your internet problems are probably due to you either not having the drivers (in which search for them depending on your ethernet card manufacturer, or get some generic ones) or you not have installed/configured them. Try looking up netconf or linuxconf, in the forum search. I remember a post before with the command to configure netowork cards. As for getting rid of it, that depends on your distro, some windows distro actually have you go to the control panel and remove it, but most just let you delete the folder. Sorry, I don't know about your KDE or office probs, I don't actually HAVE linux.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Screen Resoultion> Check video card settings

Internet access> You need to set up a gateway machine

office> Star Office or Open office... www.openoffice.org

get rid of it> fdisk and format

choices> you only installed KDE, not gnome...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

About the Internet, pm me what kinda connection you have and more info on your network card.

DON'T DELETE STAR OFFICE IF YOU HAVE IT!!! Sun is going to make people pay for their office suite for linux now, so if you have it, plz, plz don't get rid of it, let people download it from you please!

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    DON'T DELETE STAR OFFICE IF YOU HAVE IT!!! Sun is going to make people pay for their office suite for linux now, so if you have it, plz, plz don't get rid of it, let people download it from you please!
    Yeah Star Office 6.0 but not 5.2,
    I suppose he has 5.2.