Thread: JPEG file thumbnail

JPEG file thumbnail

I dont know how but on my win98 comp i wasn't able to see the thumbnail view of jpeg/jpg files but could see the thumbnails of bmps/gifs/html etc (View as web-page was enabled in Explorer)

I tried running regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll but that didn't help

So I created a new key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg and named it ShellEx

Created a sub-key in ShellEx -> {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

and then copied the value of the
    /.bmp/shellex/{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1} "default" string to the /jpeg one

and can now view the thumbnail image

But I have three questions..

1) What is the actual data value to be written in the Default String

2) What does {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1} stand for.

3) Does anybody have an idea how can or did this thing happen?

Sorry if i dont make any sense.

Why not turn off view as a web page from the properties menu?

>>Why not turn off view as a web page from the properties menu?

Wha?? That doesn't solve my problem at all. What you say means - ignore the problem. LOL

I "WANT" to see the jpeg image preview in Explorer using VIEW AS WEB PAGE enabled using the correct value in the registry key of /.jpeg/..

The Iceman Cometh
    Upgrading to a newer version of Internet Explorer (www.microsoft.com/ie/) should resolve the problem. What you are referring to is part of the IE installation. If you already have the most recent version, simply reinstall it and it should correct the problem. Also, you may try just turning the feature off and then on again. It may just need to refresh the thumbs.db file (or whatever it's called in Win98). Good luck!

AJ

umm i dont think IE is the problem since i cant view the thumbnail image in windows explorer.

somebody kind enough with a win98 sys on his comp could tell me with the correct /.jpeg key..

The Iceman Cometh
    Many of the features (such as thumbnail view) are a subset of the IE installation. IE installs/updates many of the DLLs necessary for such views. Since Win95, for example, Explorer has been built upon the Internet Explorer source, which is why the two integrate so easily together. I still stand behind my assertion that reinstalling/updating IE should do the trick for you.

AJ