Speed Question?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Question?

Banned

Speed Question?

I know this has nothing to do with viruses or hackers but I would just like to know which processor is faster. An Intel Celeron processor, or a Intel Pentium 3 processor. I am guessing a Pentium 3. My cousin says a Celeron is faster and I have a Pentium 3 (which I say is faster) and we have been arguing over it for quite some time.

The Iceman Cometh
    It all depends on the Celeron processor in question. Check out the link below for a comparison.

http://www.intel.com/home/desktop/comparison.htm

AJ

EDIT: Forgot to add this... the main difference you'll find between the Celeron processors and P3s and P4s is the amount of L1/L2 cache memory. The new Celeron processors are definately faster than the older P3s, but slower than today's high-level P4s. There's a reason that Celeron's a less expensive... they're geared more towards basic computer functions.

The Pentium 3 is faster, the celeron may have a higher clockspeed then yours but the pentium 3 has a bigger cache.

Celeron? Fast? LOL.........

If it's speed you're after, give AMD a try.....or crystal meth......

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, Comparing a celeron with a P3 is kinda iffy. It really depends on what versiona nd speed of each chip you are refering to. The celerons can now hit speeds of 1.8GHz, and have made the switch from the socket 370 to the p4's socket 478. The older celeron processors used the Tualatin core and now they are switching it to the williamette core. So when your arguing over whether the PIII is better than the Celeron, it usually helps to narrow it down to a specific chip like the celeron 1.8Ghz socket 478 w/ 128KB of L2 cache and .18Micron. Need to be more specific. Personally I would take a P3 over celleron before the P4 came out. But the P3 does have its disadvantages. Like I still don't understand the whole "Lets switch to Slot for this one" idea. What do you guys think?

Banned
    Ahh yes, indeed. I think Pentium is faster.

The only was a celeron is going to beat out a p3 is if you compare an old p3 to a new celeron.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    confirmedkill.........what's crystal meth? I'm googling now and not finding a lot........

just a quick off-topic reply to xTOXICSOLDIERx:
    that was absolutely the most random attachment i have ever seen :-D

cyb3rn3tik:
    when he said crystal meth he was joking. crystal meth is an anphetamine(sp)...its a drug.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Celerons cant be over clocked can they?