Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Google?

The Iceman Cometh

Replacement for Google?

I know that there are tons of search engines out there, though many people here prefer Google (people like me! hehe). Anyway, I was reading some articles and found this . It's about a new San Francisco-based search engine which is trying to beat out Google's indexing service. The search engine is www.alltheweb.com and it seems to work fairly well if you ask me.

AJ

PS: I searched the forums and didn't find this anywhere, but if it is, let me know and I'll take it down.

I've used alltheweb and being that it is new, it didnt help me very much. Their are many companies that try to beat out yahoo and google but the key to it is advertising, time, and loads of workers. Companies like yahoo make loads of money and can afford loads of workers to help put in websites and/or take orders from clients wishing for their site to be in their directory.

as a wise man once said,

if its not broken, dont try to fix it!
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

lol, which wise man was this Netsyn? lol, I PMed you too. Please respond!

Yeah, alltheweb and google and pretty good. Alltheweb says it is better than google. Supposedly, alltheweb has 2.1 billion indexed paged and google has 2.4 billion indexed pages. Still, google has all that other labs stuff and lang tools. Google is still better.

The Iceman Cometh
    Sorry for digressing like this...

Komal > check your PMs. I sent you a message earlier I think you should read.

AJ

Another wise man once said.
    "Build a better google and the world will beat a path to your door"
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I think that google is still going to the the power house of search engines...If yahoo is hosted by google and yahoo was #1...well that should say something about the power that google has.Plus after 9/11 google took over cnn.com because it could not deal with the traffic.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

Google will always dominate. They're just too established AND too good.

Google was the original. Nothing compared to it when it came out, and nothing compares to it now.