Thread: Email header

Question Email header

Hi all,

I have this question. I just received an email from my friend. What is interesting there is no To: field. In the header of this mail is only From, Created, Received and msg ID. How is this done? And how can I see other fields like To, Cc, Mailer etc??? Thanx for answering.

Sun7dots
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Crap, i subscribed by mistake. And what kind of e-mail do you use?

The "To" and "Cc" headers are, technically, part of the mesage body and not the envelope. You can think of an email message in the same way that you think of a letter in the mail... there's an envelope that controls that addressing and routing information, and there's a message inside that contains all the niceties of the message - your mailer rips everything out of the envelopes and only displays what is inside... so, headers like "To", "Cc" and "Subject" are just kind of for your information but don't technically have /any/ ties to the actual message (and likewise can be completely forged with zero consequence).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

The Iceman Cometh
    Most likely, your address was placed inside the "BCC" field when your friend sent the message. The BCC field hides the recipients listed within it.

AJ

Originally posted here by avdven
    Most likely, your address was placed inside the "BCC" field when your friend sent the message. The BCC field hides the recipients listed within it.

AJ
    Actually, the bcc is part of the mailer message that is ripped out before the message is handed off to the delivery agent (the MDA).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Banned
    gee when i sent a BCC message to a dozen people they all got the whole list of addresses, my understanding of it was that noone in the BCC list got a copy of who all the mail is being sent to...... am i wrong in that?

In reality, it depends on your mail client and partially on the mail server. The mail client /should/ kill the Bcc and then use that to seed the envelope. However, some helpful mailers will, if no "To" is found in the message body, use the complete list of recipients to fill the "To" or even something like an "Apparently-To" header.

Usually, if I want to Bcc people, I make sure there's at least one recipient in the "To" header and things are usually fine (if necessary, I'll even address the message to myself to prevent "helpful" systems from filling in fields I hadn't counted on). Mailers such as "Pine" will happily add something like "Undisclosed Recipients" in to a blank "To" line... though, be warned, many anti-spam programs filter on things such as that...

Nobody you send the email to will see the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) list. It's like CC (Carbon Copy) only the addresses are hidden. That's the whole point.

Thank you all!) Your information were helpfull... I completely forgot that Bcc can't be seen So here goes some greenies for you...
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]