Thread: Newbie Questions

Newbie Questions

Hello i'm a newbie. I'll admit it. I don't know much about computer security but don't blame me for my ignorance, 'cuz all of you where once in the dark as well. That said, i just wanted to ask two questions:
    a) What is an IP address and what can one do with it?
    b) Does anyone know of any books on old school hackers like back in the day. just cuz i'm interested in em.

anyway tis all glad to be a member.

IP Address:>> An identifier for a computer or device on a TCP/IP network. Networks using the TCP/IP protocol route messages based on the IP address of the destination. The format of an IP address is a 32-bit numeric address written as four numbers separated by periods. Each number can be zero to 255. For example, 1.160.10.240 could be an IP address.

Within an isolated network, you can assign IP addresses at random as long as each one is unique. However, connecting a private network to the Internet requires using registered IP addresses (called Internet addresses) to avoid duplicates.

The four numbers in an IP address are used in different ways to identify a particular network and a host on that network. Three regional Internet registries -- ARIN, RIPE NCC and APNIC -- assign Internet addresses from the following three classes.

Class A - supports 16 million hosts on each of 127 networks
    Class B - supports 65,000 hosts on each of 16,000 networks
    Class C - supports 254 hosts on each of 2 million networks
    The number of unassigned Internet addresses is running out, so a new classless scheme called CIDR is gradually replacing the system based on classes A, B, and C and is tied to adoption of IPv6.

source webopedia

hope this helps a little..

hi,

welcome to antionline!

an ip address identifies a computer / node (it could be a printer, router, etc) or other in the network, whether it be a local network, a wide-area network, or the internet. what you can do with it? communicate via TCP/IP, which enables us to go to AO's website, chat on icq, chat on irc, MUD, send emails, browse other sites (and surf for pr0n), and hax0r into newbie's computers using L337 (not) tools like sub7, etc, plan LAN games, share files and printers (although other protocols can be used for doing this too). basically, a lot. search google for TCP/IP or IP address if you want more details, or read a book about networking.

ummm... there are many on this one. the ones that pop up in my head are the hacker crackdown (more about phreakers in the early 90s than crackers, but, hey, worth a read), and clifford stoll's the cuckoo's egg. no doubt many more about this one, i'll try searching the other threads about this one later on.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

since no one's mentioned it yet,
    IP acronym: Internet Protocol
    TCP: Transfer Control Protocol

/me hopes I remembered correctly

hope that helps

Lightbulb

Welcome from a fellow newbie!

I just have a couple of suggestions for you. Try the tutorial forum index:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897

In this forum there are several links to posts/tutorials dealing with IP addresses and TCP/IP in general.

Secondly your post may get a better response in the Newbie Questions forum.

As far as books go try "Cyberpunk" by Katie Hafner and John Markoff. It deals with Kevin Mitnick and other "old school hackers/crackers". You may also want to read Neal Stephensons books. I read "In the beginning... was the command line" (non-fiction), "Snow Crash" (fiction), and "Cryptonomicon" (fiction). All three were really good and give insights into hacker culture, (at least in Mr. Stephensons view).

Anyway hope this helps.

An entertaining book was 1984, thought I'd just throw that in there....cryptonomicon was excellent, I've never seen ''in the beginning...was the command line" i'll need to get it

You can't forget Neuromancer..

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Neuromancer rocks. Anything by Clifford Stoll is good. John Markkoff is a punk a55 biatch.... Neal Stephenson is good, but like Zen said, William Gibson is much better.

I don't know much about computer security but don't blame me for my ignorance
    Ignorance is ok. We don't have a problem with that as long as you are willing to learn. What is not ok is when you ask how to hack hotmail (or something else) for "security purposes."

a2> IP addresses allow you remote access to a computer. When you type in www.antionline.com, the computer looks up the IP address and connects you to a computer in Penn. on port 80 (the html port) so you can view the webpage.

b> Masters of Deception, The Hacker Crackdown (available online), @Large, Takedown, etc etc....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman