Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: you see only what you want

Originally posted here by xTOXICSOLDIERx
    Did U know that in America we call our language "ENGLISH" and in England they call our thier way of speaking "ENGLISH" and call our way "AMERICAN"

But I say there r 2 many languages, lingo, & accents. However many peaple have this saying in common --> ?huuuuh?
    Well, considering that it boils down to spelling, and that England was the first english speaking country, they have every right to say that some words in 'American English' are not correct 'English' words. American could be classified as an English dialect. Canadian English could also be classified as an English dialect, but it's much closer to England's way of spelling things than that of the United States.

Some examples:
    Code:
    English         American
    ----------------------------
       Light             Lite
    Doughnut      Donut
      Colour          Color
    Favourite      Favorite
     Analyse        Analyze
     Cheque         Check 
    (as in the thing you get every two weeks if you work)
     Centre          Center 
    (as in, the place. ie: Town Centre. 
    England's English uses Center to denote the middle of a circle, 
    and Centre to denote a place relevant to society. 
    Center of his back, Centre of the village.)
     Football        Soccer ;p
    This is a good resource for the differences: http://www.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

lol
    Yes my english is stinkin' but all who didn't like it f**k off.
    For who was by my side thanks
    ..Here I go and never will return.....

Angry Don't be so arrogant

As Greekgoodes and Sarinmage wrote - I see the point of his post too. And some of your reactions just confirm it. Many people will give you good answers, will praise you, will say you are the best only if you do and if you say what they want you to do, and what they want to hear. Only the strong personalities are able to say about someone that he's a really good enemy and praise him anyway.

And to his english.. And what?!
    Even my english isn't without mistakes. I do many mistakes. But why? Because english simply isn't my or bizaros native language. I wonder if some of you who are here making fun of his english are able to speak (even ask where is here toilet, or for some food) in rumanian or in czech or in some other language. I know that many of you will... But also many of you aren't able even to say hello or thank you in any other language than in english... Don't be so arrogant! And the last point. I know I'm the last one here who could correct you but I see many posts of english native speaker and I saw many mistakes in their posts too...

Bye
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

AntiOnline Newbie

Have a heart!

I am shocked and frustrated at the arrogance of some of the replies! I see boards like this, where people from around the world have the opportunity to discuss their different points of view, as having great potential for promoting world peace. It can help us understand why people of different countries or regions or backgounds think as they do. But first we must listen. Lets not give people of other countries more reason than they already have to think of us as ugly Americans, or ugly *whatever*.

Those of us for whom English is our native language are fortunate, very fortunate, that English has become the language most commonly used in international communication. I am frequently amazed at the good English of many of those on these boards for whom English in not their first tongue. And for those, like BiZaRo whose English still needs more work, why don't we try to help them instead of making fun of them? Perhaps ask "Is this what you mean?" and paraphrase their comments. Have a heart!

Yes my english is stinkin' but all who didn't like it f**k off.
    That's not a way of gaining friends... Anyway, you had a nice post but I kinda miss the point of it - were you trying to raise some discussion about it? Now this turned to a grammar/spelling school... I can admit that my grammar isn't perfect either (spelling should be ) and if I'm uncertain of the form of some word I try to look it from some dictionary. If your never even try to learn good English, you won't learn it and people will always every now and then comment you about it.
    I guess the main point of this message was to point everyone who thinks their messages might contain more typos than they should to use the Spell Check at the message writing window. Loading that page instead of quick-replying isn't as big deal as it used to be because AO has got a lot more speed. Try it.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Banned
    BiZaRo , my apologies for being an a$$. i dont know why i did that. now that i've read over your post i think i understand it better

"when you ask a question you dont always get the response you want sometimes because it isn't what you had in mind. to be understood you have to be clear about what you ask and in order to get the response you want"

AntiOnline Newbie
    Thanks for that, 5150. I feel much better now!

And BiZaRo, let me rephrase what you said near the end of your initial post.

"My point is that if you want to be esteemed and honored, you have to say and demonstrate what people want to see and hear."

That may apply to many of the conversations we have with others in daily life. But oh, God, think of how it applies to politics! Those, for example, who attempt to negotiate peace between nations have to deal with what people "back home" want to see and hear. And those back home may have some pretty well-ingrained ideas.

Airhead: I blame MTV.

TechieChick
    This is kind of fun, Bizaro proved his point with the way everyone answered at first and I can only hope people learned something from his post.

The way I understand it and I see this all the time between forums like this and daily interaction with people, someone asks for an opinion and if they don't get the answer they "want" then they aren't going to listen or they get angry at the person giving them the answer.

I can understand his frusteration with the the original responses, his english needs some work, but...I don't know any other language (High School french was a loooong time ago!) so all I can do is admire his courage for posting on a board like this.

TC

It is hard for me to write in a language that I learned only one year back in old school and I understand that what I write may be paintful to the eye but like sun7dots said
    I wonder if some of you who are here making fun of his english are able to speak (even ask where is here toilet, or for some food) in rumanian or in czech or in some other language
    But I don't baleme anyone.
    Whith all your respones I managed to prove my point from this tread.
    When something is bothering you like my english for example your frustrations make you to say or write things that maybe later you'll regret. like 5150 did. No applogies needed. I apriciate that you had the curage to say that you'r wrong.
    once again excuse my english but now I'm not in my country and I try to learn another language wich is not so easy and I don't have enough time for english.
    For all who understood me and aproved me i have only good words.
    For the rest of you just some: learn to live in a society.
    ..Here I go and never will return.....