how to install linux...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to install linux...

how to install linux...

all the sites i went to to download a linux dist said I have to install it from a cd, and their directions were to burn a cd with the images on it blah blah blah...but I don't have a cd burner. And I don't want to buy the linux cd either. (I guess I'm a little too picky). Is there any other way I can install linux?

There was a linux dist. that really looked good (http://www.trustix.net, since I'm going to run a server), but still I needed a cd burner. But there was another problem with this one: it said it wasn't compatible with scsi or something, which I have no clue what that is. But a computer that I'm lookin to buy online does have scsi.

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Umm, you're out of luck on the cd-r thing basically unless you get a linux on a floppy kind. And about scsi, it's a type of HDD, and I'm almost positive you don't have it since you don't know what it is, so don't worry about it.

Download the slackware bootdisk and install over ftp.
    I toor\'d YOU!

I was warned a while back about downloading linux online, something about how its only a partial download and does not give you all the features or something. Didnt bother with the ftp versions and just forked out the 30 bucks to buy the disk. Was a very simple install, and I feel was alot smother than having to fight with connection speeds, download times, ect.
    See dick... see dick hack yahoo...see dick go to jail... dont be a dick.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Simple. Just download the ISOs and PM me when it's done. I'll give you a program that you can use to extract them to a DOS partition and then install them from a boot floppy.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

what distribution should I download (and where) that would be compatible with an older computer (less than 500mhz, scsi drive, maybe isa....) and includes some services -- web and mail at least?

-The Sawshank Redemption

sorry, i didn't see your post cgkanchi. not that it matters, but would I be booting linux from the floppy every time, or am I just using the floppy to install it?

-The Sawshank Redemption

Antionline Herpetologist
    The distro I'd recommend would be RedHat 7.3. However, that's quite a large download (1GB+) so you might want to look for something smaller. Also, you'd only be using the floppy to install your Linux system. You could also use a boot floppy to boot your system every time but that would be your choice (i.e it's not necessary). Post any other questions you have on this thread, I am now subscribed to it.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

i bid on a server on eBay that I won, and it has a scsi drive. The linux dist. that I really want to install on it says (or, what I think it says) that it doesn't support scsi. The page is here if you could please check it out and make sure I'm interpreting it correctly, that would be great.

Thanks
    -Mike

-The Sawshank Redemption

The Iceman Cometh
    Yanksfan > You may want to fix your link... You accidentally entered the wrong info into the two prompts... you should have placed "here" in the first prompt and the URL in the second. As it stands now, the only way to access the link is to copy and paste it.

AJ