Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Newbie FAQ for newbies

The Iceman Cometh

Mandatory Newbie FAQ for newbies

I was thinking... in order to ensure that the newbies to the site "no the rules", etc. why not send them to one of the Newbie FAQs or to a page listing many of the Newbie FAQs written for the site? That way, they know that the FAQs are there and no where to start looking for information before asking a repetative question. All it would really take is to redirect them to that page once they register a new account, and they can look it over before moving back to the main page. Just a thought, though.

AJ

I’m all in favor of Ramming the faq down there throats, its for there own good.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I'd almost say "give them a multiple-guess test that they have to score reasonably on before they're given the right to post." Could just be a set of like 25 questions, chosen randomly from a database of questions submitted to JP by addicts and above (note: I am not telling you to email/pm private questions for this to JP - just putting the idea out there for a possible enhancement to the board... given JP's approval, of course).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

This has to be one of the best ideas I've heard for awhile.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I'm by all means still a newbie at this site, and I see the advantages to a mandatory FAQ. Doesn't mean I would necessarily like it at first, but why not if it is to better the community.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Banned
    Hear, hear!

Some people make honest mistakes, but others just don't get what the FAQ was written for.
    It would be a good idea to have the FAQ be a mandatory read for the new users, thus avoiding such issues as treads in wrong forums, disallowed treads, and an all out understanding of the antipoints (which most new users seems to lose grasp of)

Also:
    It's nice to know the "programming language" of the board so to make your text nice and shiny?

Sorry, I don't see how this can be acheived. It pops up everytime a newbie enters the site until they graduate? What's to stop them from just closing it thus ignoring it?

The Iceman Cometh
    There would be nothing stopping them from just closing it and ignoring it. But there are many people who would actually take the time to read it, and maybe even add it to their favorites/bookmarks so that they could refer to it later...

AJ

Originally posted here by bquine
    Sorry, I don't see how this can be acheived. It pops up everytime a newbie enters the site until they graduate? What's to stop them from just closing it thus ignoring it?
    Yes, but then no one would have an excuse for not reading the FAQ. They couldn't say, "I didn't know."
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

i think the newbie fact should be part of the end user agreement... something they have to read when they sign up... the click, "i agree to these terms and conditions" thus making it legal to kick them out. i mean, i noticed from the first three seconds i was here not to post a how to hack question, or not to ask a previously asked question.... and i always search google first. i don't see how people don't get it.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda