Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fresh install win 98

fresh install win 98

hello ppl
    is there any way i can make a fresh instalation of win 98 on my box i want 2 delete everything and just start from scratch again the reason is i know know how 2 use my computer better
    and i have a lot of stupid proggy i installed like webcelarator <<-- (sick of the illegal operation at start up)ive allready deleted all things related 2 stuff i dont want any more but some stuff is still there is there ay way i can do this
    any help would be much appreciated ty 2 every 1 in advance oh yes i forgot when i put in the win 98 disk it just keeps my same setup after the installation thats why im asking cheers again
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Hi mom!
    In short: create a bootflop, start your computer in dos-mode (make sure you can read cd-rom), format all harddrives (repartition them if desired), insert WIN98 CD, copy /win98/*.* to a local directory ( C:\WIN98\ or something ) and run C:\WIN98\setup.exe

This way, whenever windows needs the CD it'll find it locally, and won't bug you with irritating popups.

Have fun and good luck ...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

guss i dont fullly understand im still a noobie ( heh at least im honest ) i dont even know how 2 repartion my drive or format them
    i would really need noobie terms
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out

Hey, i hope this helps. First, you need to make a boot disk. You do this by going into your add/remove icon in the control panel and clicking on the tab for it. I cant recall exactly what it is called. Anyways, its one of the tabs in there. Once you make your boot disk, then reboot your machine with the boot disk in drive a:. You do not need to boot it with cd rom support right away, but just get to the dos prompt. Follow the instructions:
    1) type fdisk
    2) delete active partition
    3) reboot
    4)get to dos prompt
    5) create active partition
    6) reboot
    7) get to dos prompt
    8) type "format c:" without the paretheses

When this is done, reboot and boot WITH cd rom support. Once it is at the dos prompt, type in the drive letter, usually e, and then hit enter
    This will bring you to drive e. Type setup and win98 should install for a clean fresh shiny new install of the worlds worst operating system. (Actually, win me is ) Well, like i said, i hope this helps. any questions, feel free to pm me
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Hi mom!
    Prodikal - maybe you should ask the help of someone that can sit besides you when you're doing this. This is not something you want to do alone, the first time you do this. (Which is exactly the reason why I am not going into more detail). There's no shame in asking someone's help. If he's done, you can always reformat the entire machine again yourself
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

guus cheers again but know 1 around here is in 2 computers like i am thats why im i was putting this question 2 the AO community
    because u all know what u are doing with puters cant u make a clean install from the cd rom ?? if not i guess i can live with it till i get more educated
    ty for every 1 ns help again

fdisk
    delete active partition
    reboot
    create active partiton
    reboot
    then a:\
    a:\ cd d:\ (where "d:\" is your cd rom)
    d:\cd WIN98
    d:\WIN98>format c:\u\s\v
    after that just run THE SETUP FROM THE CD

Hey, i hope this helps. First, you need to make a boot disk. You do this by going into your add/remove icon in the control panel and clicking on the tab for it. I cant recall exactly what it is called. Anyways, its one of the tabs in there. Once you make your boot disk, then reboot your machine with the boot disk in drive a:. You do not need to boot it with cd rom support right away, but just get to the dos prompt. Follow the instructions:
    1) type fdisk
    2) delete active partition
    3) reboot
    4)get to dos prompt
    5) create active partition
    6) reboot
    7) get to dos prompt
    8) type "format c:" without the paretheses

When this is done, reboot and boot WITH cd rom support. Once it is at the dos prompt, type in the drive letter, usually e, and then hit enter
    This will bring you to drive e. Type setup and win98 should install for a clean fresh shiny new install of the worlds worst operating system. (Actually, win me is ) Well, like i said, i hope this helps. any questions, feel free to pm me
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

In reply to your question about doing a clean install from the Windows98 CD.
    Yes, you can do this without making a bootable floppy.
    However, this involves altering the settings in your BIOS to boot from the CD - how to do this depends on which PC you are using. If you would like to try this, feel free to PM me, and I'll explain how to do this. Once the changes have been made, when your PC boots from the CD you will have a basic menu.
    Select '2 Boot from CDROM', and then '2 Start computer with CDROM support'.
    If this works, you can do a clean install without using FDISK.
    At this point you have not made any significant changes to your PC, so you can easilly stop at this point.

To do a clean install, you need to destroy (format) the data on your hard disk
    Type:
    d:\cd WIN98, which should give you the 'd:\WIN98' prompt.
    If that doesn't work try e:\cd WIN98 (gives 'e:\WIN98' prompt),
    or f:\cd WIN98 (gives 'f:\WIN98' prompt).
    then type format c:
    This cleans out your hard disk be deleting all the data on it.

Now reboot your PC, and this time
    Select '2 Boot from CDROM', and then '1 Start install', and follow the instructions.

This method does work, as I've used it myself.

I've skipped over one or two things here, but that approach is pretty foolproof.

You might want to change the BIOS boot settings from Primary HDD to CD-ROM first, or else you won't be able to boot from a CD. Just a tip
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]