Thread: Batch programing (Tips and Tricks)

Batch programing (Tips and Tricks)

Disclaimer:

I have made every effort to provide you with acurate and truthfull information, however, there may be errors found throught my tutorial. I take no responsibilities for any damages to your computer resulting from the use of the information provided herin. Use this information at your own risk. As a reminder, I do not premote the use of this information for ilegal activites, it is your responsibility for any actions resulting from inapropriate use of this information.

Prerequisite:

I assume you have used MS-DOS and are familiar with getting around in DOS. This includes a working knowledge of issueing commands, spesifing comand line arguments, getting help with commands and so on. Some experimenting with batch is in order since I do not fully document the entire batch language, I will provide you with the essentials to get you started but in no way once so ever is this a complete guide to batch. Besides it sais tips and tricks not the entire language.

Introduction:

Seeing how many tutorials can be found all over the internet, my goal is to produce unique, origional tutorials while at the same time pay close atention to quality and content. Assumeing DOS tutorials are wide spead, I figured a tutorial on batch programing, introduceing potential tricks to be used in batch programing would be well suited. So this tutorial is to introduce you to the world of batch programing, but at the same time provide you with some tips and tricks. But why would someone want to program with batch when there are so many programing languages out there like C, C++, Python, Java and more? Well as you are problably aware, difernt languages are more suited for one task then others. If you were makeing a CGI script to run on a web server, perl would problably be your choice rrather then useing C or some other language. At the same time, if you want to write quick small utilities for windows to load at boot time, batch may very well be your answer. So what are we waiting for lets dive in!

If you want to learn how to change the colors of your color monitor with batch skip ahead to the end of this tutorial, if not cary on.

Batch Intro:

The batch language itself is pritty simple, fist off all our batch source code is writen in pure ASCII text format, and saved with the extension .bat. This can be acomplished with the use of a text editor such as notepad. A batch file is more or less a colection of DOS commands, as well as special batch spasific commands, plased sequentialy one on top of another. When the batch file is executed, the commands contained within are executed one by one as if you were typeing them in yourself. So why would you want to make a batch file? Well one example might be, you use a certian sequence of DOS commands every day when you start up your computer in the mourning and it would be nice if we did not have to type them in manualy. Now, in batch we may use all of the commands available to our version of DOS, plus an aditional set of batch spasific commands. I will list some common DOS commands but for a complete refernce pick up a good DOS book at your local library:

Attrib (view and change file artributes)
    ChkDsk (check disk utilitiy)
    Choice (present the user with a choice, default is yes or no)
    Cls (clear the screen)
    Copy (copy a file from one location to another)
    Date (display and/or change system date)
    Del (delete a file)
    DelTree (delete a directory and all subdirectorys)
    Dir (list the contents of a spesified direcotry)
    DiskCopy (copy the contents of one disk to another)
    Erase (same as del, refer to del)
    Extract (extract one or more cabinet files [*.cab])
    Exit (terminate and start new copy of command.com)
    Find (locate a string in a file(s) )
    Format (format a disk for use with MS-DOS)
    Mode (controll links to computer perhipherals such as COM, LPT1..)
    More (a pager, used to display information one screen at a time)
    Move (move files or directorys from one location to another)
    Prompt (change the display of the command prompt)
    Set (modify, display or remove an enviroment variable)
    Sort (sort alphanumericaly the lines of ASCII text from input)
    Start (starts a Windows or dos program in a new parent window)
    Time (disply or set the system time)
    Type (type the contents of a file to standard output [monitor])

As mentioned, not only may you use any of the DOS commands suported by your version of DOS, you may also use batch spasific commands made for the purpose of batch file writeing:

REM (remark, set comments. Used for documenting or commenting)
    ECHO (used to turn echoing on or off, as well can display an optional text message)
    PAUSE (suspends execution for spesified time period)
    FOR (execute a DOS command iteratively)
    GOTO (causes execution to jump to a spesified line, used for program branching)
    IF (conditional oporator used to execute a command only if condition is satisfied)
    SHIFT (shifts the contents of the program parameters)
    CALL (invokes a batch file, executable program or DOS command)

The above is certianly not a complete list of commands available to the batch programer but it is certianly enough to produce some funky utilities. I have not provided the Syt\ntax or how to use the commands, you should know how to get help on a command in DOS, but if you don't just launch DOS, type the command name followed by a space and /?. This will provide you with help. As well you can look in your local library for a DOS book, hint check your version of DOS with the VER command, or visit http://www3.sympatico.ca/rhwatson/dos7/ and look up the command you are interested in. So what is the format of a batch file, I mean, how do you write a batch file? Well, let me show you an example:

@ECHO OFF
    ECHO This program was created by ele5125
    REM Move to C:\My Documents\ele5125, if not exist create!
    IF NOT EXIST c:\mydocu~1\ele5125\ md c:\mydocu~1\ele5125
    cd c:\mydocu~1\ele5125\
    REM Copy files spesified in argument 1 to my directory
    copy %1 c:\mydocu~1\ele5125\

So what does the above batch file do? Simple, the first line turns off echo, however because echo was not previously off it would normaly display echo off on our screen, so to prevent this we preceed it by a @. This tells it not to display the command as it is being executed. Now that we have echo off we do not need to use @ because nothing will be displayed unless spesified otherwise. Next we tell DOS to display This program was created by ele5125 on the screen. Finaly we get to use rem to make a comment, this is for opur purposes and is ignored by DOS. It is so we have an idea what the next line does, when we look over our code next week. It is simular to comments in C. Now, we have a if conditional statement, we are saying to execute the command cd c:\mydocu~1\ele5125 only if c:\mydocu~1\ele5125 does not already exist. But what exactly is this c:\mydocu~1\ele5125 thingy? It is a directory on your hard drive. Actualy the directory is C:\My Documents\ele5125 but in DOS we cannot have long file names, we must stick to the 8.3 file nameing convention. So if our file name is greater then 8 characters long, we take the first 6 characters, ignoreing spaces, followed by a tilde ~ then the number 1. This makes My Documents mydocu~1 instead, thus satisfieing the 8 character limit. So apart from all that, it is clear as mud right? Good!
    So if C:\My Documents\ele5125 does not exist we create it. Now we use the DOS cd command to chage the current directory to our newly created directory. Finaly we include another comment to make things easy to read, then move on to a copy command. Now if you look up the copy command it sais it copys a file from one location to another. So what in the hell is this %1 thingy? I am glad you asked. When we execute our program later we will spesify the program name (the name of the batch file) followed by a argument like so:

batch1 a:\*.*

So assumeing we named out batch file batch1.bat our first argument is a:\*.* which just hapens to be a file spesification spesifieing all the files on my floppy disk, assumeing our floppy drive (FDD) is labled a:. So now in our batch file, to use this argument we refernce it by %1, why %1 and not %0? because %0 hapens to be our program name and %2 would be the second parametner if we gave it one. So we are copying from wherever the first argument sais so, to the new directory C:\My Documents\ele5125. The only major difernce between my batch file and the copy command is instead of copying to wherever we want, my batch program always copys to my own directory.

So that is all there is to writeing batch files, just use difernt combinations of DOS and batch file commands, type them line by line in sequence, name the file with a .bat extension and away we go. So why in the hell did I write this tutorial for you? Because now we can learn tricks with batch and we also have plenty of time for some examples to get you started. Remember, I do not document commands that I do not use, as well I do not document the arguments I don't use. So I strongly recomend you visit http://www3.sympatico.ca/rhwatson/dos7/ if you realy want to know how to use a command. Now for my tips and tricks:

Batch tips and tricks (and examples ):

Ok the first trick im going to tell you is how to compile a batch file into a executable file so you can pretend you did it in C . You can find a copy at http://nlsn.free.fr/batch-down/ it is very easy to use. to avoid any problems I sugest copying it to c:\windows\Command\ (in windows 9x). Next, lets get down to the meat of my tutorial.

========================================================================================
    **Batch Tips && Tricks**
    ========================================================================================

#1 How to make a menu driven system:

Some of you may have woundered how you can make a simple menu in batch, well here is one way:

Set up a simple text file containing the menu text like so:

Menu:

1) Do something...
    2) Do something else...
    3) Exit program

now save it with an extension txt, perhaps call it menu.txt, next create a separate batch file for each menu item named 1.bat, 2.bat, 3.bat excetra like so:

contents of 1.bat:

@ECHO OFF
    ECHO This batch file does something spesified in menu item 1
    ECHO Do stuff..

contents of 3.bat:

@ECHO OFF
    REM return the prompt back to normal
    prompt $N:\$G
    exit

And so on till you got a batch file for each menu item, you are not limited to batch files, they could be com or exe files. Now we make the main program:

contents of bat2.bat or whatever you called it:

@ECHO OFF
    TYPE menu.txt
    prompt Enter your choice from the menu:

It is that simple, ok so how does it work? First you start by executeing our main program, in our example we called it batch2.bat it turns off echo being carful not to display anything. Then it types out the contents of menu.txt to the screen, this displays the menu. Next a prompt command is called to change out prompt from C:\> to Enter your choice from the menu: which makes more logical sence. So if we enter 1 and hit the enter button, it is the same as us typeing a command, now DOS will search the current direcotry for a program called 1, it finds 1.bat so it executes it. If you entered 2 the same type of thing happen, it finds 2.bat and executes it. Finaly if you choose 3 our 3.bat file will change the prompt back to normal and exit dos. Tada, that simple, there is your menu, now experiment! Yes thats wright, im not going to spoon feed you, you have to try things out and experiment.

#2 Getting beyond the 10 argument limit:

Now for our next trick, more then 10 command line arguemtns, exceeding the limit. but first we must understand what command line arguments are and how to use them. Command line arguments are extra information that you can give to the program on the command line. This is done by following the program name with the arguments like so:

program argument1 argument2 hello

here along with executeing the program named program, program recieves argument1 as %1 argument2 as %2 and so on. So now lets say we want to make a simple program, lets make the echo command:

contents of echo.bat:

@ECHO off
    ECHO %1

So how does it work? Simple, it takes the first paramenter which hapens to be contained in %1 and it echos it to the screen or standard output. Here is an exaple DOS session with our new program:

C:\> echo hello
    hello
    C:\>

But what if we put hello world instead of hello? well it would only print hello because world would be in %2 not %1. Clear as mud?

So that is how we can use command line arguments, but we have a limitation, we may only have 10 arguments, but I want more!!!

Here is our solution. We can use the shift command to shift the arguments around, so that we one by one bring the 11th 12th 13th and so on arguments into the argument list and at the same time shift arguments 1 2 and 3 out. This sounds very confuseing so here is a example:

contents of the new and improved echo.bat:

@ECHO OFF
    ECHO %0 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
    SHIFT
    SHIFT

Now let us start up DOS:

C:\> echo A B C D E F G H I J K
    A B C D E F G H I
    B C D E F G H I J
    C D E F G H I J K
    C:\> _

So what happened? well first we turn off echo, now we print all 10 arguments that we recieved, we have a limit of 10 so J and K are missing. Now we issue a shift command, this shifts all the arguments to the left one position, now we loose the first argument and a new one comes in at the right side. Thus eliminateing A and ataching a J to the end. We do another shift then print all 10 arguments and this time we loose B and gain K. So shift moves the arguments from right to left so we have access to the arguments that simply could not fit into all 10 variables. That is how we can get over the 10 argument limitation. Now of cource our echo will not print more then 12 arguments, so if we realy wanted our own echo we would use the for command. I will leave you with that thought to chew on. Lets cary on with our tips and tricks.

#3 How we can get input from our user:

Ever wounder how we can give the user one of those yes or no questions, if we echo the question how do we get a responce? Well today is your lucky day, the answer my friend is with the use of the choice command.

Here is the syntax for the choice command:

CHOICE prompts the user to select one of a specified set of keys in a batch program. It is the only Dos command that allows for controlled user input to a batch file.
    Syntax:

CHOICE [text] [/C[:]choices] [/N] [/S] [/T[:]c,nn]

/C[:]choices The prompt - comprising a series of single alphanumeric characters corresponding to valid choices. The prompt is displayed as the characters, separated by commas, enclosed in brackets, and followed by a question mark. Default is YN

/N Stops the prompt from being displayed, although text is still shown and the choices keys are still valid.

/S Forces the choice keys to be case sensitive. By default they are not.

/T[:]c,nn Defaults choice to c after nn seconds.
    c must exist; nn must be in the range 0 to 99.
    text Text displayed before the prompt. Typically, text is used to expand on the subsequent prompt.

The above syntax came from http://www3.sympatico.ca/rhwatson/dos7/
    So how do we use it? Let us take up an example:

@ECHO OFF
    REM ECHO OFF? Yea why not?
    choice Would you like to turn on echo?
    IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO YES
    IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO NO
    :YES
    ECHO ON
    exit
    :NO
    ECHO OFF
    exit

The first line turns off echo, nothing new here. Next we make a comment about the code that follows, again nothing new. Now we use our new found friend choice to present the user with a yes or no prompt, because it defaults to yes or no, we just spefify out text to display and leave it be. So how do we find out what our user inputerd? The answer is with error codes, depending on the key the user pushes, it will set a error level acording to the following:

0 (Choice was terminated with CTRL+C)
    1 (The first choice was pressed)
    n (The nth choice was pressed)
    255 (There was an error)

So how do we test the error level? Simply use the IF statement like so:

IF [NOT] ERRORLEVEL number

where not is optional and number is the number of the error code to be tested for. We did this with IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO YES and IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO NO, the GOTO is a command that will tell the program to jump to the line labled whatever follows goto, in this case if it was a error level one indicateing our user chose yes we goto the line labled yes, if the user chose no it would be error level 2 therefor we would jump to line labled no. Lines that are lables start with : so :YES is our labled yes line and :NO is our labled no line, from there the program resumes normal sequential operation. We turn echo on or off acordingly then exit. Simple no? Again I am not here to spoon feed you, this is a tips and tricks tutorial, not full coverage of batch file programing.

#4 Tricks with your color monitor:

For this trick you will need to edit your config.sys file to include the following line:

DEVICE = ANSI.SYS

Now that we got that set up let us begin. We did this because we are going to be useing the ansi driver to controll our forground and background colors. Now normaly we would use the prompt command to display a difernt prompt, but it can however be used to send an escape code to the display. Now the ansi device driver that we loaded up in config.sys uses the controll sequence formate:

ESC [#;....;#m

remembering of cource that we will send these controll commands with the use of the prompt command. But how exactly can we do this, how can we send commands to ansi.sys to change the screen colors? Well first we know the format to send controll sequences is ESC [#;....;#m and we send them with the prompt command. ESC is the abriviation for escape, and we know our parameters follow the [ between #; and ;# where # is the number corosponding to the code in our controll sequence. these numbers can be found in the table below:

Parameter: Meaning:

0 All atributes off (normal white/black)
    1 Bold on
    4 Underscore (IBM Monocrome only)
    5 Blink on
    7 Reverse video on
    8 Canceled on (visible)
    30 Black forground
    31 Red forground
    32 Green forground
    33 Yellow forground
    34 Blue forground
    35 Magenta forground
    36 Cyan forground
    37 White forground
    40 Black background
    41 Red background
    42 Green background
    43 Yellow background
    44 Blue background
    45 Magenta background
    46 Cyan background
    47 White background

So that means if i want to change the forground color to yelllow the code would be:

ESC [33m

Now how can we use the prompt command to issue this controll sequence? Easy, with $e in place or ESC like so:

prompt $e[33m

yes it realy is that simple, of cource after you made the change to config.sys you should reboot so the setting takes efect then you can play. Have fun!

I hope you have enjoyed these tips and tricks and I ceritanly hope they will come in handy. As well remember to check out the bat2exe so you can tell all your friends you are an 31337 C coder when realy you did it all in batch.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Ok well, I just thought about my tutorial and I think I short changed you so here is kinda a sequal:

Ok, first thing first, most of you are problably egar to try out changeing the colors of your monitor, the line I instructed you to add to your config.sys file was

DEVICE = ansi.sys

However on most modern PCs equiped with windows, that file is located in C:\Windows\Command so just change the path. All the line is doing is telling it to install or load the driver into memory so you can use it, and who knows, maybe it is already in memory.

Now you might be interested in knowing, not only can you change the screen color, you can also delete text, bold and underline text, move the cursor and more. I brifely introduced the color of your monitor codes but let me give you a more detailed look at what exactly you can do with this ansi driver you just loaded into memory.

Color:

As already discused the formate of the controll sequence to modify your monitor colors such as back ground and forgorund is:

ESC [#;....;#m

And the values you may use as parameters are:

Parameter: Meaning:

0 All atributes off (normal white/black)
    1 Bold on
    4 Underscore (IBM Monocrome only)
    5 Blink on
    7 Reverse video on
    8 Canceled on (visible)
    30 Black forground
    31 Red forground
    32 Green forground
    33 Yellow forground
    34 Blue forground
    35 Magenta forground
    36 Cyan forground
    37 White forground
    40 Black background
    41 Red background
    42 Green background
    43 Yellow background
    44 Blue background
    45 Magenta background
    46 Cyan background
    47 White background

but we already stated that we send this controll sequence to the monitor with the use of the prompt command like so:

prompt $e[#;....;#m

As an example:

prompt $e[34m

That simply tells it to change the text color to blue (forground color)

Notice in the chart 5 is blink and 1 is bold, 4 is underline so there, you are not limited to color, but what about the Mouse?

Mouse (Cursor tricks):

The formate for the controll secuence for controlling the cursor is:

ESC [#;#H (Move to spesified position)

Example:

prompt $e[34,30H

ESC [#A (move cursor up a spesified number of positions)

Example:

prompt $e[5A

ESC [#B (move cursor down a spesified number of positions)

Example:

prompt $e[5B

ESC [#C (move cursor forward spesified number of positions)

Example:

prompt $e[10C

And finaly:

ESC [#;#F (moves cursor to position spesified)

Example:

prompt $e[4,5F

But dude, you promised I could delete text!

To clear the screen:

ESC [2J

will erase the screen and position the cursor at home hey it beats cls

Erase a line of text:

ESC [K

will erase from current cursor position to the end of the line.

Remembering of cource that ESC is replaced with $e for the prompt command.

Hey! ever feel like haveing an intelegint confersation with your printer? Remember that there are special names associated with your perhipherals, these are:

CON: (Console keyboard/screen)
    AUX: or COM1: (Comunications port 1)
    COM2: (Comunications port 2)
    COM3: (Comunications port 3)
    COM4: (Comunications port 4)
    LPT1: or PRN: (paralel port 1, usualy conected to a printer)
    LPT2:
    LPT3:

So does that mean that if I do:

copy CON: PRN:

then I can talk directly to my printer? Ok try it out. But before you do I sugest you learn the comunications protocol the computer and the printer uses to talk.

Also CTRL+Z will terminate the comunications.

Have phun!
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Hey guys, I was woundering, seeing that there are so many tutorials out there, and I am haveing a dificult time produceing origional work that will be interesting enough to read, perhaps I can get some Ideas from you ppl. I am no expert, and I don't know much, mut I am certianly willing to share the knowledge I do have. I have programed in HTML, JavaScript, Python, Perl, C, C++, Qbasic and very little Java. I only have a strong grasp of perl C and batch. I was thinking about perhaps writeing a tutorial on the basics of networking, such as clients, servers protocols, sockets, excetra, like a brief overview of each, and perhaps dig a bit into IP addreses. Or maybe I can write a tutorial on Tips and Tricks (Walking in a windows wounder land) where I could talk about a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, registry edits, hex edits and such, perhaps talk about makeing your own desktop themes, and such. So what are your ideas?

I have a job interview tomrow, wish me luck.

hehe...this brings back memories...i was doing this stuff when i was 8...you need any books or tutorials on anything just let me know...

Another excellent tutorial, keep up the good work!
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

nice work man, but a little bit of advice if i may... run a spell check! i can not speak for the majority, but i know i have trouble taking anything seriously as good knowledge when it is full of typos and errors that could be easily fixed by running a simple spell check. makes your work more professional.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I have a job interview tomrow, wish me luck
    Good luck.

Anyway, I don't think anyone has done a python tutorial on here. At least not an original one. You can also check the tutorial index to see if you have any ideas on something that hasn't been written. http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Good post, I loove batch programming, it is just so easy to use. No compilers, nothing. Plus it uses dos commands which most people know anyway. Good tutorial.

oooooo.......brain freeze.....Nice tut, a bit on the long side for my liking but nice non the less
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

hmm. very nice. very long... but very nice.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?