Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must have for win95

Must have for win95

If any of you people, like me, use windows 95 then chances are your port 139 is open, whether you have file sharing enabled or not. Most people say, that because you have no file sharing enabled, well then it doesn't matter that your port 139 is open. Well, why take any chances. There are 2 things I know of that you can do to close that netbios port. One is to download a .vxd file that will close it for you, I believe that it is an update. The other, more simple option is to download a tool from grc.com, it is called NoShare, if you wish to open up port 139 again, you can download the other tool, LetShare.
    NoShare can be downloaded at http://grc.com/files/noshare.exe
    LetShare can be downloaded at http://grc.com/files/letshare.exe
    Secure your comps people.

Or you can download a firewall and i'll stop intruders from that port, and MORE! Get your copy today: www.agnitum.com - Secure your PC, stop DoS attacks, ads, cookies, and more!! Secure your box people! :P

Actually DoS attacks can still crash your comp with a firewall, tell you what, I'll explain that in my next post

Just to mention: DoS attacks can still work on a closer-to physical connection capacity level if enough is sent. That, and in *some* cases your computer will consume more processor cycles with a firewall when a port it hit than when the firewall is not on.

But it does wonders against DoS attacks against a single port-bound application.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

And what are the chances of that happening? Are you going to go to somebody's house and ask if you can bomb their computer?

piss someone off good enough and find out :P
    one never knows these days.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Actually DoS attacks can still crash your comp with a firewall, tell you what, I'll explain that in my next post
    It depends on the firewall and the DoS attack used. Most firewalls if configured properly will stop annoying attacks like that. BTW, you dont have to explane any thing to me. I knoe how a DoS attack werks.. :\

Then why are you pushing software firewalls so much? There are better options out there, and plz don't advertise your firewall in my thread.

And remote access don't give me negative points for trying to help, you don't have to read or post in this thread. If you don't like it, then ignore any further posts or threads from me. I am trying to be helpful to newbies here, and I don't appreciate that.

BTW the reason I got annoyed at you for giving me negative points is because my last account was screwed up, and I got banned. I have been doing some really useful stuff with this account though, and your negs pushed me into that "people think that you are an ass" message and I don't want to get banned for trying to help people.