Internet Radio Silenced? Not in US, but in CA?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Radio Silenced? Not in US, but in CA?

Banned

Internet Radio Silenced? Not in US, but in CA?

Hey All,

Was listening to my fav. .net radio station (Rant Radio) and heard a blurb that a bill (This is in Canada btw) is about to go into the House of Commons to be decided on (in July) which is to increase the fees and taxes for broadcasting over the internet (these are non-profit stations too)

The bill (Tarrif 22) is similar to something that had happened in the States a little while back, except that they were to place a fee (which Canada already has in place) The bill in the US fell through due to huge outcries by the public. RantRadio.com and others hope for the same thing. They are having this protest drive to make sure the voices of the listeners and broadcasters are heard.

Go visit the site RantRadio for info about the bill and whom to contact. (Even US and other country people can speak up, it's international broadcasts)

Personally speaking, I like how the US has it, free broadcast for non-profit stations. How are they to maintain the fees when they have no revenue entering from their broadcasts?

im too beat to do it tonight, but i mailed the page to work and will send them my 2 cents worth in the morning.

talk is little more than masterbation, action is pure p.....!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Goddammit...why can't Chretian and Martin have their high-school style antics and just leave the bloody internet alone?
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Banned
    Couldn't tell ya, the only logical thing I can see is that where there is a way for revenue, the will be a fee/tax....

Have news for ya... it's not just in Canada, but all around... US included... the RIAA is trying to levy some rather heavy taxes on Internet Broadcasters. One of my favorites, SomaFM tends to have regular updates on their progress...

They apparently just manage to shut down AudioGalaxy, and, well... seem pretty happy about it... they even have a press release detailing their dirty deed.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Banned
    I had heard that the RIAA lost the battle to become legistlation?

Wasn't that part of the power/support/argument that the RantRadio and public are using in their protest/battle against the Terrif22 here in Canada?!?

From RantRadio.com
    Just like CARP that was recently defeated due to public outcry in the U.S.

Well, kind of, but not quite (as I understand it). The proposal, I believe, was rejected without comment... but there's a caveat that they still need to decide "what those fees are going to be" sometime tomorrow (June 20), I think.

Anyway, here's a link to the Washington Post Article from May 25.

Also, SomaFM has put up a nice set of links about the CARP ruling. He's much better at articulating this stuff than I, I think...

Here's a quote...

CARP ruling rejected!
    Final determination of the rates and reporting requirements scheduled for June 20th.

On May 21st, the Librarian of Congress, based upon the recommendation of the Register of Copyrights, issued an Order rejecting the PanelŐs determination proposing rates and terms for these licenses. In such cases, the law provides that the Librarian shall issue his final determination within 30 days of his decision to reject the PanelŐs proposed rates and terms. The final determination is due on June 20, 2002.

[...]
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

I jes hope dey dont fill up da innernet wi that damn rock a' roll music!
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    I understand more now, thanks Draziw.
    What the Canadian side of the coin is to maintain the current fees and use the CARP as an example of how the high rates are unfair to non-profit users/broadcasters over the internet.

Well I hope that both
    a)Canada maintains the current fees
    b)The US come to ruling with "fair" fees...

Originally posted here by tyger_claw
    Couldn't tell ya, the only logical thing I can see is that where there is a way for revenue, the will be a fee/tax....
    I am Canadian and I agree with this 100%!

Taxes here are outrageous! Where there is a will they WILL find a way to tax us.

And the government wonders why our dollar is down, our unemployment is up and the country has such difficulties......