Thread: Lindows

Lindows

Can lindows legally charge people to download the OS? I mean because linux is built on that license, i forget what it is called, that thing free license thing. Anyways, can linux legally charge people to download it from their site? Just wondeirng here.
    BTW I decided to scrap the version of lindows I downloaded, it was pretty useless, the linux functionality was sad, and that would have been ok if it could emulate windows and run windows applications, which it was unable to do.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Linux is built on the GPL. Redhat can charge people to download Linux from their site if they want. GPL doesn't say that you can't charge, it just says that you have to be able to see the source.

Also, I don't think lindows is truly linux. I think it has its own licening scheme.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I don't trust the entire way Lindows distributes it's product.
    Pay for Beta's etc., I mean why don't they show an actual working version of the product free to download?

Because once people use them instead of microsoft, they dont want to have to switch to selling it, they would rather start that now I guess. Like I said, it is a crappy product. I tried it, I hated it. So I hope that they don't get too far with the product, I would rather see a virtual PC for windows kind of product. Plus I don't really like the idea of emulating an OS, seems like ripping off the hard work of a lot of people. Thanx for the posts guys.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    They are already starting like Microsoft. Pay for a beta test.... Isn't that what every MS product has been since Windows 3.1? Release it, then fix it when the users find problems? Humm, sounds like a beta release to me.

btw ko123, congratz on your exams...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    Come On.... You have to wonder about Lindows if Wal-Mart is backing it. Wal-Mart has been displaying some 19 Models they are releasing for as low as $199.99 For a 1 Ghz System w/ 128MB RAM (Minus Floppy Drive & Monitor) Also they are offering unlimited access to their software warehouse for $99. Their software warehouse is nothing but freeware. What the hell is that?

--- a clipping: Click-N-Run is a novel delivery system and pricing model for software where a consumer can pay a single payment of just $99 for a membership to a warehouse of over 1,000 products - which they can own permanently. All the LindowsOS computers from Walmart.com can be plugged into a DSL, cable modem or modem line and get instant access to a library which normally could cost thousands of dollars. Each computer comes with a trial account which allows for any 3 programs to be loaded from the Click-N-Run Warehouse to experience the technology. From there, unlimited access for a year is available for $99.

Thanx souleman. Appreciate yo help and yo thanks.