Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you view an IP off an Email?

Question Can you view an IP off an Email?

Just wondering...is there a way to find the IP of someone that sent you a mail? through looking at the source code or anything like that??? i think there is but i dont know how to do it.... any help...?
    thanks
    LeadBelly

Yes you can, in outlook express select the email and right click to properties, and in the details there should be the information or a button to get to it,
    It will list all of the IP's that the email has touched including the source.
    very handy for tracking open servers that are used for sending spam.

-=Legacy Boy=-

-= You mean there is stuff better then DOS? =-

Alternately, select View All Headers from the View menu (IIRC that's where it is in Outlook).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Comb the header of the e-mail and who it is from, usually you will see a name or something like that followed by an IP address. Try looking next where the first e-mail server appears.

Banned
    I am using Microsoft Outlook Express from the Microsoft Office XP suite, and the only thing I do to find out the IP Address of a sender is to RIGHT CLICK on the mail from the inbox and SELECT OPTIONS all the information is in the Internet Headers. Sorry if this responce is repeated. I just shared my solution.

and if you haven't done yet, eMailTrackerPro can do all what are mentioned for you automatically.

Cool, i just set hotmail to show the full header....
    thats cool, i ew ere was a way....thanks...
    LeadBelly

hey, I thought you could only trace it as far back as the first smtp server it went through, not to the actual client, someone let me know if I'm wrong, I would really appreciate it.

GEL

Some SMTP servers will show a name of the user of the server. ie 192.168.2.100@yourisp.net, some perform translation and will show you@yourisp.net. Some versions of SMTP server will behave differently. The IP may or may not be readily viewed.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

waytallgel, all mails which is being send via your ISP, yahoo, hotmail, .... accounts will show your real IP address, and 99% of anon mailings also will show the senders real IP.