*nix Shells for Windows

Thread: *nix Shells for Windows

Post *nix Shells for Windows

Ive been looking for the longest time for a *nix shell that will work on windows. Ive come across a few and i would like to know what yall thought of each.

Unix2Dos-I discovered that it had quite a few basic *nix tools that ran in a dos enviroment.
    Cygwin-Everyone knows it and most hate it this shell/emulator by redhat has a shoddy filestructure and isnt very good(no offence to those who like it just offering my option)
    MKS Toolkit-one of my favorites it offers a korn shell and comes with vi for windows and an intergrated perl compiler found in most *nix enviroments.
    Uwin/ksh- Uwin or unix-windows is another *nix enviroment that i personally like it's by bell labs birthplace of Unix and has a fairly large library of unilities to work with.

I know there are more out there but these are the ones that I found to be the most versitile. What do yall think?

BTW: Im going to attach the LS command that has been ported to windows cause i know that dir isnt as powerful as LS

Behold the power of ls

I discovered vim -m$ vi ed
    I wrote a bunch of console apps using cmd to mimic unix
    ls is
    dir %1%2%3%4
    cat is
    type %1 %2 %3
    rm is
    del %1 %2 %3

I store them in a dir I call Unix. I set the path variable in such a way that it knows of the unix dir and now I have cat, ls, rm. %<number> is the command line arg passed in.

I found some additional very useful tools from http://sysinternals.com

Cheers,

-D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I use the MKS toolkit in conjuction with the Windows resource kit. This gives you great flexibility with scripting and things of the like. I do not use the shell emulator though, I just like having the unix commands such as cat, etc... usuable in windows. I've found that the windows text parsing from a command prompt is pretty limited without MKS.

Personally, I just use Exceed/Hummingbird with the MKS Toolkit. Works great, though is costly.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Banned
    I think KSH is a really good one.

Uwin

Uwin is my favorite by bell labs it has an assortment of tools and utilities but it doesnt have many network applications.

Originally posted here by Remote_Access_
    I like putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
    BTW, Cygwin sucks ass
    Putty rules, and it's free and has advanced options