Thread: rather bizarre problem....

Exclamation rather bizarre problem....

Okay, this is a little different from my last post. I recently bought a network adapter for my laptop, a Netgear FA411 to be exact, and for some unknown reason it dosent seem to like my computer, which runs Red Hat 6.1. I followed their help files to the T. I run netconfig to set up my ip and netmask, and when i hit enter to commit to the info, I get a message "Segmentation Fault (core dumped). I've been trying to figure it out myself, but I'm at a total loss on this one, so any help is greatly appreciated.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

did you check red hats webpage to see if it will support that card?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Sounds like a driver issue. Like casper says you need to check for support.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I checked it before I bought it, and it says its compatible with Red Hat 6.1 and 6.2
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO

It says it's compatible, as in NetGear thinks it'll work... but have you actually found the driver on the RedHat site? I seem to remember that some generic drivers such as NE2000 or one of the more common 3Com cards will probably work, too... but, then again, I tend to shun RedSplat myself.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

i looked around a bit.. didn't see anything much but i came across this site
    http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    which has a discussion link
    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/discussion.html

maybe someone there might have a suggestion or two..

hope this helps..

i decided to give the ne2000 driver a shot, but when when i did insmod ne.o it gave me this back:

ne.o unresolved symbol ei_open
    ne.o unresolved symbol ethdev_init
    ne.o unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
    ne.o unresolved symbol NS8390_init
    ne.o unresolved symbol ei_close

ive got no idea what all that means.

i don't know but unresolved symbols would usually mean it needs recompiling under the kernel you're using..

but if i was you.. i'd be be searching with google.. google is your friend. (don't forget the newsgroups)
    and it appears as you aren't the only one who has had this issue.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ne...F8&sa=N&tab=wg

It is possible there could be some unresolved dependencies for the modules. Try using modprobe instead.