HDD "memmory"--->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD "memmory"--->

Question HDD "memmory"--->

Ok I was reading (again) in the FBI Oh my God thread that talks about how a hard drive could be read because of trails that it will leave and cant be totally over writen... I'm wanting to know if you can program Linux to make it that every time you delete something it'll overwrite it automatically and also in the temp area when it's finished using the files it terminates them by overwritting them 2 or 20 times... what ever you specify. In general I'm wondering if there is a way to program Linux to cover trails without effort of formatting free space every night... having programs delete and rewrite over files 10/20 times. Well I think it would definately be a worth while thing to put time into, I just want to know if it's possible.

(I hate when people say "anything's possible if you put your mind to it)... I know you could MAKE anything work but is it practicle?

Doesn't PGP have a feature called 'PGP Wipe' that overwrites files with garbage so as to make them unreadable?

To me it doesn't seem practicle to do but...to each his own.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Yes, its possible. I believe someone has already written a program that does that. I know there are some for windows... Although the windows ones are seperate programs, not just your normal recycle bin being converted to truly delete something.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

there's a freeware prg called suredelete which you can set up to wipe free space..i believe it has a scheduler...and if not you can certainly set it up with a batch or whatever...the version i've seen is win...but they may have a *.nix version...google for it...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

thanx everyone but do you know if they have developed a 'paranoid' linux? If not I think I would like to try (it would be good to test my knowledge and increase my programming skills). Well if anyone knows it'd be a great help. Thanks

i don't know if someone already posted this, but maybe with their tecnology of reading the hard drives after the files are already over-written, but it might be better just to encrypt the file with a really strong encryption, then throw away the key, and then delete the encrypted file

just a thought....(i get lot's of em)

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

yanksfan, yeah that is alright for 'sensitive' materials but I'm talking everything... if it's got the ability to be traced back to others or it's even my email from sears.com that I'm 'trashing' I'd like to know that I'm better off than the next guy who doesnt have as protective a OS. I'd like to think of my OS as a protective 'big brother' where he'd watch my back... Just cause I dont like the idea of someone down the road bothering me with an email I sent to someone in AU telling a joke that could be interpriated wrong and they send me to jail. Now the chances of that happening.... almost none but eventally someone has to win the lotto even with ten billion to one odds!

just curious: its possible to retrive the data if it's deleted, but can any data be retrieved if the hdd (or any drive -- floppy, usb, etc) is formatted?
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Banned
    I don't think so, not if it's been formatted, but I have heard of some proggies that'll bring back some data from the other proggies that claim 'sure delete' features. . .sorry no links, I reformat too much, heh heh.