Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware linux..

Slackware linux..

i heard that slackware lniux is harder than redhat, the reason i want to get slackware is that the downloads for redhat are driving me insane and i want to try something different, so pleas if you can help, tell me which is better and why.. or should i stick with slackware and just wait for redhat? thank you

Personally, I'd choose redhat. If the download isn't working that just get it from a software store or get it off cd. I'd always stick to redhat. My recommendation!

Slackware is somewhat tougher. Just do what I did, go to your bookstore and buy a how to book with a copy of redhat that somes with it. It is easier that way. Get slackware when you think you need some more linux functionality.

Slackware is the single most secure server Distro I've seen.

It is not designed to be a workstation, the way RedHat is.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Slackware is for the die-hard Linux user,
    but chsh I don't agree with you, OpenBSD has got to be the most secure server distro I have ever seen

if slackware is not designed tob a work station, then what i it designed to be (pardon my ignorance)

Originally posted here by Union Elite
    if slackware is not designed tob a work station, then what i it designed to be (pardon my ignorance)

Question is, are you skilled and capable of doing so?

The Iceman Cometh
    I would personally recommend sticking with Red Hat. I had issues downloading from their FTP site as well (it was slow as hell!), so I just searched Google and found some mirrors do download from. Within an hour, I had downloaded all three CDs (I just started downloading each CD from a different mirror, so as to not exceed their download limits).

AJ

lol leviatan, my keyboard is wack... i spilled soda on it so its all weird... unless you meant elsewise

Slackware is for the die-hard Linux user,
    but chsh I don't agree with you, OpenBSD has got to be the most secure server distro I have ever seen
    Levitan, not to split hairs, but OpenBSD is not Linux. Any BSD can be a small adjustment for those not familiar with it's wiley ways.

I will agree, however, that OpenBSD is a very secure default installation, but I believe that any distribution of Linux or BSD can be made to be very secure with the right knowhow.

chsh, I like Slack too, but I'd have to say the most secure Linux distribution I've ever seen was SELinux released by the NSA:

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.html

Ya gotta respect a distro without a root account!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */