Thread: Message ID format: Yahoo!

Message ID format: Yahoo!

HI,

Any one please explain the message ID format of Yahoo.

http://us.f147.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...ead=&box=Inbox

Specifically what does pos=0, view=head and YY=21035 indicate?

From MsgId, I understand that the last number "12" indicate the serial numer of the message for the account. But what does the other numbers indiacte? Something to do with the date?

TIA,
    Another Newbie

This is probably best posed to Yahoo's engineering group... after all - you work for them, right? Else why else would you be asking us this question... then again, why are you asking us this question?

Send yourself a few messages and see if you can figure it out... my guesses are that it's Yahoo! proprietary (or at least that's their intention) and, well... helping you with it would be too much like "hacking," which we don't do on this site. But then again, you read the FAQ, didn't you? You should know that already...

<edit>sorry - it's been a long day at work... I just got home - until 12:30am here. Still doesn't excuse the "highly suspicious hacking-like subject" here... LOL</edit>
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

The Iceman Cometh
    I'm inclined to agree with darziw on this one. I don't think that information is something which (I can't see) being used for a noble purpose. Just my opinion, though. Why would you need this information, prasad?

AJ

I am not working for Yaho engineering group. And I do not have ANY intensions of hacking.
    The message header interests me because it has a different fromat as compared to other
    mail servers'.

I have tried with my own messages at Yahoo. I could only understand that the last number
    "12" indicates the message serial number since my account creation. Some other fields talk aboot mail viewing preferences. BTW, the full URL did not appear in the previous post...here it is..

us.f147.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=1552_445297_1970_932_325757_0_12&YY=21035&inc=25&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=&head=&box=InBox

I repeat..I do not have any intensions of hacking..I understand the purpose of this group..and this information can not be Yahoo! proprietary since we "see" all this every time you click on the message. So any help with this please?

The Iceman Cometh
    Honestly, you'd have to find someone who is in the Yahoo Engineering group. I don't think there's any other way to figure it out. You may be able to find something on Google, though it's pretty doubtful...

AJ

Originally posted here by prasadgummadi
    I am not working for Yaho engineering group. And I do not have ANY intensions of hacking.
    The message header interests me because it has a different fromat as compared to other
    mail servers'.

I have tried with my own messages at Yahoo. I could only understand that the last number
    "12" indicates the message serial number since my account creation. Some other fields talk aboot mail viewing preferences.
    Fine. I'll help...

Code:
    us.f147.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=1552_445297_1970_932_325757_0_12&YY=21035&inc=25&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=&head=&box=InBox
    MsgId is 1552_445297_1970_932_325757_0_12
    YY is 21035
    Inc is 25
    Order is down

etc, etc, etc...

..and this information can not be Yahoo! proprietary since we "see" all this every time you click on the message. So any help with this please?

Ummm... if it's not proprietary, I'd venture there'd be an RFC or whitepaper on it... in which case, the answer would be just say Google. The values aren't "proprietary," but I'd guess their meaning probably is, and probably has something to do with the way in which Yahoo's proprietary webemail client retrieves messages from their databases (and furthermore, how it's displayed back to you).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Most likely, everything after the YY is display commands. IE...inc 25 messages per page, order = top to bottom, sort by the date, pos= from top of page, view the headers, of inbox...

The YY is proably something propriatry. I would have to see if the value changes or what. It may even be a user id or something. The MsgID is pretty obvious. That is how they reference the message.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman