port scanning

Thread: port scanning

Exclamation port scanning

i just found superscan the other day(by reference of another post) and i like to play around with it. however, is it illegal to portscan? could i get in trouble or be arrested?? thanks fellas

Don't think it is illegal, but depending on who you decide to pick on and how much you scan, you could draw alot of attention to yourself very quickly...why not set up a private LAN and play all you want and then you don't have to worry about it a bit ?

And don't forget, depending on how you scan, your scan could result in a DoS condition at the target end ... and that most definitely would be a 'bad' thing...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

no its not illegal to port scan..however your ISP can terminate your account

Ummm... why would it be illegal to scan your own machines? If you're planning on scanning someone else's, you should just lay your fingers across the desk now while each one of us takes out a yard stick and "applies" it appropriately.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

As others said it is not illegal, like anon mailing, BUT it depends, I recommend you:
    1.Do not scan government & Millitery networks. ( you will get into trubble! )
    2. Do not scan for trojan ports, eg. 27373, 1243, ....