Personal Firewalls

Thread: Personal Firewalls

Personal Firewalls

Just wondering if anyone working out there has installed an Enterprise Personal Firewall solution in their company?

ie. With a centrally managed server, and when remote access users connect to the network, the Personal Firewall Managament Console provides them with a predefined ruleset according to their logon details.

Also, I would like to hear peoples opinions about how they think that such a solution, from a security perspective, of course
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

We have deployed Sygate Management server. Over 6000 nodes. The product kicks ass. It beat out Tiny and InfoExpress' Cyberarmor by a long shot.

What specifically would you want to know?

The features are plentiful including distributed IDS that you can import your already existent Snort rules, really nice.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thanx for the reply Korp, do you only insist on Remote Users to have a Personal Firewall, or do you install the Personal Firewall on machines on the Internal Network? ie. Put a Personal Firewall on a critical server on the Internal Network that is remotely managed by a 3rd Party vendor?

I am starting to think that placing a Personal Firewall on machines on the Internal network remotely managed by the vendor is somwhat a better option that VLANning the box?

Do you have much problems with the Firewall interferring with the functionality of the application? And is the Personal Firewall Management server relatively easy to administer?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Currently we only have the road warriors. But I'm convinced that there are more than a few good reasons to put them on all intenal machine. I'm still working on getting buy in, but it'd do wonders for auditing.

Maybe just start with laptops and then move in on the LAN PC's.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Its good to hear that someone is on the same wavelength us us.

Thanks for your imput Korp, as usual.
    SoggyBottom.