Socket Programming

Thread: Socket Programming

Socket Programming

Hi
    just wondering if anyone can tell me about socket programming...for instance what is it? what can I use it for? why would I want to learn it?
    And just a quick question if anyone can take the time to help me here...im trying to pass level2 on www.try2hack.nl
    I can view the source but its no use if I can't see anything in there...anyone mind helping me? Please don't post a reply saying how easy it is and how I'm an idiot....I'm trying and you were probably once in this position too when you were my age (14 for those of you who haven't seenn me around here yet). Thanks in advance,
    -=Royal-T=-
    [glowpurple]Wisdom begins in wonder. Failure isn't success if we learn from it. -Socrates[/glowpurple]
    -= Royal-T =-

typo on the second quote
    -=Royal-T=-
    -= Royal-T =-

Basicaly a socket is a connection or channel if i may, that all incomeing and outgoing data to and from a network such as the Internet goes through. A socket is atatched to a port, an invisible software port that is used for communications with a network. You should be aware that Windows handles sockets diferntly then unix. So if you are looking for tutorials on sockets in windows look for things like winsock. If you are interested in socket programing for some form of a *nix OS then just searching for socket tutorial will most likely bring you some hits. Here is a nice diagram of a socket connection, so you can visualise it:

http://www.district86.k12.il.us/cent...ck/Lesson1.htm

so in sort, you would want to use sockets if you were interested in makeing programs such as a client or a server to communicate over a network, not nessisarily the Internet, it could be a small LAN exctera.

HTH
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~