Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ok, here's a toughy(atleast i think so)

ok, here's a toughy(atleast i think so)

ok, here is a scheme i think should be hard enough to break.
    first i'll just post the crypted string, but you WILL need a hint, so i'll include one at the end.

620344603626-4-1-3-8-5-7-2-6-9
    now this is simplified a bit to make it a little easier to see what's going on(the numbers after each "-" should be made to look more randomish, which can be done quite easily)

and here are your hints:
    1) the number after each dash indicates a position.
    2) this evaluates to a string containing only letter(s) space(s) and period(s), but could easily be extended to include numbers and symbols

as a side note, this is a crypt that myself and some friends in HS thought up on our own, but i bet that the same basis has been used before(and probably quite a bit better).
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Have you ever noticed that the shorter a block of "crpyto" or obfuscated text is, the tougher it can be to break given a static key or simple rule?

<edit>
    Example: 66676263207667
    </edit>
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

well if you wish i can crypt a whole paragraph or something, but its gonna take some time cause i havent written a program to do the conversion for me and i dont have a compiler on this pc...just for the record, the string represented there is 9 charecters(including all space(s) and period(s) ).

[edit: DOH! had put 7 instead of 9...that woulda messed everybody up :-D]
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Originally posted here by 8*B@LL
    [edit: DOH! had put 7 instead of 9...that woulda messed everybody up :-D]
    Having you keep foo'ing the text surely doesn't help the matter - and, I'd bet, makes people less inclined to try...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

erm...i put 7 instead of 9 in my second post where it now says "just for the record, the string represented there is 9 charecters"

i just hit 7 by mistake...the first post is perfect(i've checked it and all...did no math for it by hand)
    -8-

oh...you mean because the first one is edited...i did that when i decided to put a hint in it right away instead of posting a reply.
    -8-

infact, give me a minimum number of charecters and i'll crypt something else...i mean what is the point at which you think it becomes reasonable to attempt to crack it?
    -8-

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    /me is confused

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    okay, i've broken it down to four sets of doubl numbers,

62 03 4 4 6 03 62 6

or

62 62 03 03 4 4 6 6

but thats only 8 charcters. I figure the 03 is prolly used as a space because of its odd value.

so

62 _ 4 4 6 _ 62 6 hmmm.. now what? I have no clue, 8-ball, am I even close?

Is anyone else working on this?

Originally posted here by xmaddness
    I have no clue, 8-ball, am I even close?
    nope...if it were straight forward substitution like that there would be no need for notation at the end showing "positions"
    -8-