Thread: snort question (rules)

snort question (rules)

I am useing Windows 98 SE, I have downloaded and installed Snort 1.8.6 for windows.

If I open snort.conf with notepad for windows I get a black square character where a newline -CF LF is suposed to be, so simply where someone would type the enter button, I get a black square. I can fix this easily by simply copying everything into this window, then copy it from this window and put it back in notepad, All the black squares will turn into new lines.

Not sure if anyone understands what I am saying but my question is why do I get these black squares instead of new lines. Perhaps it was writen on a linux machine?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

ele5125, maybe it was written with assembler and the printing method calls for the standard block representation of the new line character instead of actually giving you a new line.

Just my two sense. I hope this helps you a bit... I will also trying looking around to see if there is some other reason why this may be happening. Will get back to you on that one.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

I think it is *nix text...

*nix uses other character for newline then windows / dos does...

you can open it with wordpad though..

that usualy helps !!!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I just opened it in wordpad and I am very pleased, 10Q so much. I figured it problably had something to do with the format it was saved in, I always thought that all Operating Systems used the same CR LF for new lines, it is nice to know now that linux uses another character, this will help me when developing my own version of linux. 10X so much for all your help.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~