What's better then a floppy and just as Universal?

Thread: What's better then a floppy and just as Universal?

Smile What's better then a floppy and just as Universal?

Hey All,

Was reading Maxim Mag and noticed a newish device by Sony.

It's basically a memory stick. It requires no special software (except win98), works on *most* OSs (couldn't find any info on Linux - sent e-mail to find out) and connects easily through USB.

Here's the breakdown:
    -The device transfers at 1.5mb/sec and can hold from 16 to 128mbs (beats Zip Disks - except the 250mb ones)
    -It's small and has a stylist MIB stick look to it. (3.62" long)
    -Work's on both 1.1 and 2.0 USB
    -1,000,000 r/w
    -It also has a sort of security issue where you can password protect the data (unfortunetaly only in win2k/xp)

Figrued I'd share this with everyone. I find myself using many computers and finding either sites I want to bookmark, files I want to keep or give (transfer drivers from computer to computer)

How does it work, exactly? Dunno... I'm guessing you just plug it in and it's there. Sony only sais: "just like you would to a hard drive or floppy disk."

Click Here to read about it....

Looks like an interesting device,

but, I wouldnt even call floppies universal anymore. Many laptops are shipping without floppy drives(both my personal, and work laptop dont have one), but with CDRW drives these days. I personally have a CDRW drive on every workstation I use, and I cannot say I have had a purpose for a floppy in a long long time(except as am emergency boot disk, which cant be done with this device Im guessing(but can be done with CD)).

Thanks for the info though. 8)

Have a couple of these and they are great, nothing to install see's it as another HD! Great for larger files or say your at company X and they want to give you files plug it in they dump the files and off you go. Also a great way to back up important files if one like to tweak their system all the time. Not to expensive and like I said real handy.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

mini-cdrws beat the heck out of floppies (use it like a floppy, but a lot bigger and faster)........you were right when you said the memory sticks were newISH, they've been out for a few months (maybe longer).....I think some mice that come with VAIOs even have a USB port built in to them for the mem sticks (maybe not the same ones). Kinda cool, huh?

Thanks for the info Palemoon....
    Was wondering how those things actually worked...

Flash M0nkey
    heh as always thinkgeek.com turns up the goods
    knew I had seen what you were talking about somewhere!!

Targus Go-Anywhere USB Drive

Seattle, WA
    These are sort of old... basically they are just sticks of persistent RAM chips. Older-than-98 Windows OSes come with the needed drivers ("USB mass storage device" or something) pre-loaded, but Win98 needs to have drivers installed.

It's just like a bit stick of nonvolatile ram that has a USB port on it
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency