Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with partitions

AntiOnline Newbie

Help with partitions

Hello. Ok i have a 40g hard drive I partitioned it into two 20g hrad drives. Now here is where it messes up. it lets me put WinMe on the first drive and run grate but when I try to put WinMe on the other half it say that I already have a OS on my system. So i tried Win 98 and it say that I have a newer OS on my system. After thanking for some time becouse I am very new at this I thought I would try to put Window2000 and it would let me download it but only on the same drive as my WinMe. So know I set here with Winme on half a brain and the other is just there. What can I do? I would like to put WinMe on both parts as I will be useing the 2nd part to test software and programs. Any info will help. Thanks

Wortcraft

you dont need to have an OS on each partition...and you should be able to access/manipulate the second partition from ME, so i'm not really sure what your question is...
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

What program did you use to partition? Maybe you didn't fully seperate your partitions, they may still be linked. Happened to me before when I used fdisk, my redhat corrupted some files in my windows95. Try getting partition magic, worked well for me.

AntiOnline Newbie
    Ok I did a debug and took everything out and then it ask me did I want to partition so I did that when there was nothing in the computter. Then after a restart I had to boot with me WinMe disk. And it say I had to format the drive so I did and them it put WinMe on it then it say I had to format drive D so I did then that was it. It would not let me put it on drive D. I dont know of any other way to do it.

wortcraft

What program are you using????

AntiOnline Newbie
    Hum not sure what you r asking but let me try to answer. I am useing WindowsMe and would like to put it on both parts. I have 40g hard space 20 on each. As far as the partition I just use a debug script that works with all computters. I like it better as it takes everything out of the computter. Here i will post it.

A:\> debug
    -f 200 1100 0
    -a cs: 100
    1cdb:0100 mov ax, 301
    1cdb:0103 mov bx, 200
    1cdb:0106 mov cx, 1
    1cdb:0109 mov dx, 80
    1cdb:010c int 13
    1cdb:010e int 20
    1cdb:0110
    enter
    -g
    enter
    ctrl+alt+del to restart

thanks
    wortcraft

Oh, I don't have any experience with scripts for partitioning. Sorry, GL though.

AntiOnline Newbie
    thank anyway dont feel bad i have only been on a computter for like 1 yr in my hole life.

wortcraft

Well, it would be easer for you to partition if you used a good program called partition magic. It is pretty good, and if you have problems, you can get support.

Use a boot/start up disk or partition magic etc.... Remove all partitions. Then set you r two partitions and make the first one the primary. Then put your Win2000 CD in if you can boot from CD if not use the Win2000 setup disks. Install Win2000 to the first (primary) partition. After you install Win2000 and run it. You should be able to see the other partion labeled as drive d: or e: depending on how you have your CD and HDDs set up on your IDE. Then format the second drive from Win2000 with FAT 32. Then install ME. Reason is. Win2000 likes to be in charge and it has the windows bootloader tree as part of it. Then on boot. Win2000 will give you the option of which system to boot to. This is the short an nasty way to do it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.