red hat questions

Thread: red hat questions

Banned

red hat questions

I bought red hat for dummies and with it came red hat 7.0. I was wondeirng if i was missing anything that valhalla had, anything significant that the newer versions of red hat had. Also, by default red hat uses GNOME instead of KDE. I know a little bit about the graphical interfaces, (I am just going to type GUI because I don't want somebody to come in and explain that people call it that, a post like that would be annoying) but I don't really know the difference between the 2 systems. Is there anything big that is different about them? Which one is better for x-windows n00bs?

KDE is generally easier for no0bs to work with. It's similar (I said similar, not the same) to a Windows desktop environment.

You're not going to get much Linux help from anyone here. Unless the thread is about Sub7or hacking Hotmail not many people reply. Although Miss Mittens and Linuxcommando seem to have their Linux **** together. Smirc too......... The best place to ask these type of questions is at LinuxQuestions. It's a brilliant site for us Linux no0bs. Hope that helps!

I bought red hat for dummies and with it came red hat 7.0. I was wondeirng if i was missing anything that valhalla had, anything significant that the newer versions of red hat had.
    Hehe, it's OK to buy "... for dummies" books just don't admit to it in public .

Also, by default red hat uses GNOME instead of KDE. I know a little bit about the graphical interfaces, (I am just going to type GUI because I don't want somebody to come in and explain that people call it that, a post like that would be annoying) but I don't really know the difference between the 2 systems. Is there anything big that is different about them? Which one is better for x-windows n00bs?
    In terms of functionality there isn't much difference between KDE and and GNOME. What you can do on one you can usually do on the other, although some tweaking will no doubt be involved. So no, there is no major difference.

KDE is probably a little more Windows-like than GNOME and this is the one that I prefer using. I just like it's style better. But FreeBSDers tend to go for GNOME from what I've heard. It just a matter of taste really. Why not try them both out for a while and see which one grows on you. And don't forget to use a bitchin' tux background for your desktop .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Adding to what the others say. You may want to download and burn the three CD set of RedHat iso images. It has a lot more options and software then the one CD publisher editions.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Antionline Herpetologist
    What you're missing out on with Red Hat 7.0 is the newer versions of KDE and GNOME both of which are quite good. Also, RH 7.0 comes with the 2.2.x kernel while 7.1 onwards come with the 2.4.x kernel. Another thing you're missing out on is the ext3 filesystem. Ext3 is a filesystem similar to ext2 (which is what Red Hat <7.2 comes with) except for the fact that it recovers better from crashes, due to a feature known as journaling. All in all, I suggest that you upgrade to at least RH 7.2 if not 7.3. And smirc, I'm offended by your comments on the ...for Dummies series :P. They're the books that got me started on the way to real nerdvana.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Banned
    Thanks, I guess I'm gonna go with KDE like a windows fanatic. I am still learning x-windows so bear with me.